• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Probably dumb question!

LDC

Reaction score
Sorry in advance...I'm blaming ftm status!

My lo is ten months old, and I find that I give her the same kind of foods because I'm worried about choking (still!!)

At ten months what kind of textures should I give her? Are chunks ok?

For example, tonight oh and I are having meatballs and spaghetti....am I ok to just cut the meat balls up a little as finger foods and just give her the spaghetti as usual (she normally has this anyway)?

At nursery she had a roast chicken dinner yesterday....how would I give her that? Would I just cut everything up small for her to pick up and eat?

I think I'm in the mindset where meals like that should be blended or something so it's like an all in one mush rather than everything separately?!

Sorry. Think I'm being stupid :-(

X

I don't have any advice I'm afraid but just wanted to assure you your not being stupid! I haven't got a clue either...

Maybe you could ask the nursery how they did it?

Does your Lo have finger foods? If so would you feel comfortable giving her the meatballs and spaghetti same as you have it. A meatballs is a great size for Lo's hands. I've done BLW and we would just give Lo food the same as we have. He's 9 mo and he had a roast dinner at the weekend. We gave him strips of chicken, tear along the meat rather than across, easier for them to manage. Also I cut some roast potatoes in half to let them cool, also so they were a bit smaller for his hands (they were huge!!). Just keep an eye on your Lo, it will just take her a while to get used to new textures. She's learning just like you. She may gag, but that's just her experimenting with how far back to put the food.

Thank you both.

Yes she has finger foods biglebowski, thanks for sharing how you give lo a roast dinner! She usually pretty good with foods, think I'm being a bit of a wuss.

All the new foods are a bit scary, I think I underestimate how much probably can manage xx

When I give LO roast dinner I chop it up smaller. It cools quicker so we can all eat together!

Carrots/green beans I leave as normal. Roast potatoes I chop one potato into 4 pieces. Chicken again in small pieces. My LO is a shoveller and likes to pick it up piece by piece and put it in his mouth!

Meatballs - I cut in half.

Pasta, I tend to give macaroni as he likes that the best. He will eat other types of pasta though.

Mashed potato - I just chuck on a plate!

New foods are scary but so much fun! I love watching how my LO has become so competent in a matter of weeks really! Though it is a pain he won't be spoon fed! When we were going through the transition he used to get frustrated with me attempting to spoon feed so I used to just dump the purée on his tray when he got fed up gave him chance to play/practice picking up clumps without me worrying about any choking. But it's messy!!! A good one there is bolagnase!

You're right about the mess...My lo has really long hair too, everything just goes straight in there!

I'm really pleased with how well she gets on with foods and the only thing she's rejected so far is courgettes, which is fine with me (took me until I was 23 to actually use them!) so I'd like to make sure she's getting a variety as I tend to play safe by giving her the same things that I know she manages to eat.

I'll definitely now just try and cut things up smaller for her.

Mwah - with mash does your lo just eat it with his fingers?

Xx

When I give Lo mash I just put it on his tray. He has so much fun picking it up and eating it....drawing in it....sticking it up his nose....in his hair....you get the picture!! It is scary trying new foods. Just try to adapt food to allow your Lo to grasp it easily. You will be amazed at how quickly she will master eating different textures. I had to sit on my hands initially as my Lo gagged loads to start with. He's amazing now, he works the food around his mouth and gums it to break it down. If he has grapes he chews all the flesh and then spits out the skin!! He has exactly the same food as us.....he just makes a LOT more mess. Well maybe I miss my mouth sometimes too. Good luck, I hope your lo gets on fine.

You're right about the mess...My lo has really long hair too, everything just goes straight in there!

I'm really pleased with how well she gets on with foods and the only thing she's rejected so far is courgettes, which is fine with me (took me until I was 23 to actually use them!) so I'd like to make sure she's getting a variety as I tend to play safe by giving her the same things that I know she manages to eat.

I'll definitely now just try and cut things up smaller for her.

Mwah - with mash does your lo just eat it with his fingers?

Xx

Yep! Squishes it through and sucks it off. Picks bits up In clumps (I make it quite dry/lumpy!) spreads across the tray. Lots and lots of fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"