Probably silly question but......

LuckySalem

2 daughters
Reaction score
Mum and dad gave me money to get my hair cut and coloured.

Can I get colour while Pregnant? I'm desperate to get it done but obviously won't if its dangerous.

I think some people say there is a slight risk to you being more sensitive to it so avoid it for this. My sister is a hairdresser and she said they used to dye pregnany womens hair all the time, but sometimes would recommend people to stay away from bleaching it as your hair can be more prone to snapping or you scalp being more sensitive.

I have continued to do mine all throught the pregnancy I couldnt have left it I would of looked a right mess by now. Im due to have LO in the next 15 days and have asked my sister to touch up my roots before the big arrival as I wont get much chance once LO is here.:happydance:

Its a personal choice I would say but if you do decide to do it make sure you do a patch test first just to make sure you ok with what they are using.

Hope this helps

I haven't had it dyed for ages but I do want to make it a little lighter again as it's gone back to a dirty blonde rather than the nice blonde it used to be.

You could try a semi-permanent one like boots Botanics, it does come out gradually, but at least it is not damaging to the hair and contains far less bad chemicals if you are concerned about the baby.

Oh that might work cos I've only got 3 more months to go. I can make my mum dye it for me! :D

You can always reapply it easily if it fades :) Good luck!

thought it was ok as long as you're in a well ventilated area...?

hi! im a hairdresser and ive had my hair coloured twice throughout my pregnancy but ive been around the chemicals when ive been applying colour etc and ive still got a good, healthy, wriggly baby :D
what i would recommend would be foils because then you can really do whatever colour you want to eg lighter or darker without it touching your scalp but you can still get the staying power of a permanent colour
i did demi-permanent colour because my hair is dark and it only lasts 6 weeks so it fades out slowly and doesnt contain paraphenylene-diamine or resorcinal which are the bad chemicals found in permanent colours
so either foils with permanent colour or demi-permanent colour would be fine :thumbup:
just avoid henna where ever possible because if you then go to colour your hair with normal colour after henna then it can have a really bad reaction and your hair turns similar to candy floss or bubble gum
hope this has helped!

hi
I read that there is no evidence that colouring hair whilst pregnant is harmful to baby. But I think you are supposed to avoid peroxide.

But, your hair will probably react differently to dye whilst you are pregnant so would be best to do a strand test to check you will get the colour you want, even if you have used the same dye before.

Here is the NHS guidance on hair dying:
https://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/949.aspx?CategoryID=54&SubCategoryID=131

I got some highlights done at the hairdressers at 4 months because I felt all pale and pasty and didnt have any problems

Lou xx

Thanks for all these guys, I think i'll just bite the bullet and get it done.

I normally get foils so I'll stick to that and just make sure they don't use peroxide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->