Problem with evening feed - please help

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by becstar, Sep 3, 2009.

1. becstar

becstar Sleep is for the weak

For the last week or so, from 5pm until about 10pm Ilana has strange episodes. She starts off feeding well and calmly, but after a while she starts to fight with my boob, scratching at me and yanking her head around while still trying to suck. She punches and scratches at me and it's really distressing. She's bright red and stretching out her whole body with each scream.

I usually take her off the boob and either wind her or try to calm her down and then try again but nothing seems to help for very long. The La Leche helpline suggested trying biological nurturing (putting her on my chest and letting her find the boob and latch herself) which does help a little sometimes but after a while she starts to shake her head about and get distressed and start up again. I asked about it at the breastfeeding drop in but the midwife had no answers and just said to try an expressed bottle at this time, but that doesn't help as she refuses that too after a while.

We have tried giving her an expressed bottle at this time instead of feeding but it doesn't help. I don't think it's colic as she's not pulling her legs up when she cries like they're supposed to with colic but maybe I'm wrong? She does seem to have more wind at this time of day but I don't know if that's it really... She is so distressed and obviously then won't go down to sleep for long without a full tummy. #

Any ideas? Please help.

ETA she is now doing it this morning, too, and did yesterday morning. I don't think it's a problem with my supply as she seems to have a milky mouth and a quick squeeze gives a big squirt of milk...

2. avabear73

avabear73 Mum to Finlay

Is there any chance that the milk is coming out too fast? Maybe try and express a little first, then put her to the boob? I know if I have a lot of milk and it's coming out quickly, Finlay (who normally latches and doesn't come off till he falls asleep!) will pull off and grizzle a bit. Just an idea.

I don't have any advice but didn't want to read and run - good luck and hopefully one of the knowledgeable girls will be along with advice soon.

:hugs:

3. golcarlilly

golcarlilly Proud mum of 2

Does she shake her head side to side and then bounce her mouth off your nipple? Myles does that and my mw said he was just trying to make my nipple bigger and/or adjusting himself as he wasn't comfy? It makes me laugh at first when he does it cos he looks like he is trying to headbut my boob but it does get frustrating too!

4. Lu28

Lu28 Aisling's mammy

I don't have any answers for you as Aisling does this too sometimes with her evening feeds :( I take her off and lie her on her changing mat for a while so we can both calm down (it does get very frustrating!). If she's still doing it, I'll just put her down to sleep in her cot and go up about 10 minutes later if she's properly crying when she'll usually have a proper feed - it's almost as if she realises that she might not get anything so when I come back she's more interested in feeding properly! :dohh:

5. Jemima

Jemima Mother of One

Poppy went through this as well. Doctor said she had reflux and prescribed some Gaviscon. Is she sicky?

I also had an over active let down, which would lead to her coughing and getting really frustrated. Looking back on it, it was a horrible time and it lasted for a good 4 or 5 weeks but it did improve quite suddenly. It's might be worth winding Ilana well before letting her try again?

6. MegGem

MegGem Mother of 1

A lot of babies are naturally more fussy at evening for some reason. I agree with the others, it might be too much milk at let down. Or she's just not comfortable. My LO does this too at night sometimes. But eventually she'll get a good latch and nurse calmy then. Sorry, not much help, but maybe try expressing some so it's not such a big let down but then again, she needs to start getting used to it and be able to handle the flow too.