Progesterone after miscarriage

Aayla

TTC IUI #1
Reaction score
Hey all,
So I started a miscarriage on Sept 5. For mere tracking purposes i counted that as cd1. (I was 4 days past when af was due giving the bfp "cycle" a 39 day cycle). On CD9 I am pretty sure I passed everything. I am still spotting. PG test on cd 14 came back positive (it was a frer so I think extra sensitive). PG test on cd 15 (dollar store, 25 miu) was barely positive. PG test cd15 evening was bfn. PG test cd16 fmu, $ store, negative (shadow line but to untrained eyes they would say bfn). OPK cd15 negative.
I am now cd16 and got a positive opk. Which shocked me since I don't ovulate on my own and I have never had a positive opk without med assistance. I O'd on cd 17 the last 2 cycles and last cycle I got a smiley face on cd16. So this is going according to my regular schedule.

normally I would go and get a progesterone test on cd24 (7dpo). Would my miscarriage make that number inaccurate? Or could it still detect that I ovulated? I don't know how fast progesterone drops. Everything I google just talks about how low progesterone can cause miscarraiges.

We are ttc as we have both decided to start again right away and my doc never told me to wait.

Progesterone dips right before af/miscarriage bleeding/live birth and is at really low levels for the follicular stage leading up to O(hence why the bloods are done on 7dpo). High progrsterone levels suppress O-think progesterone only contraceptives like minipill and implant and also think pregnancy. You stop Oing when progesterone is high and thats why supps are only to be taken after O. Ihad a chemical in august and had 7dpo bloods done the following cycle (last wk)and doc said it would be accurate.
Sorry for your loss,its devastating i know x

Thanks for answering! I was almost going to bump this. I didn't get a huge temp shift this morning but that could take another day or two. did another opk yesterday and it was negative.

I am going for my progesterone test next monday and I just want to be sure it is accurate for where I am. I am hoping I ovulated on my own but who knows. It's unlikely.

thanks again.

Are you on meds normally to O? I O on my own but while my 7dpo blood results confirm O- they dont look good in terms of sustaining a preg...im bstarting cyclogest pessaries this cycle to help bring it up and give me a better chance but im still learning about it. I know sone people with lower progesterone than me are given clomid. Sometimes if they O their progesterone rises to normal levels, some still need the progesterone supplements. Was it your 1st chem? Ive had 2.....i seem to fall pg pretty easily but it doesnt last more than a week. I would just love to know how it all starts. Back when my lp was 13/14 days i had 2 kids no prob-one on birth control and 1 on 1st attempt ttc. So i think if i can draw out my lp i could get lucky x

Normally I need femara. I suspect I have probably never ovulated before.
I had a temp dip today and FF took away cross hairs. I don't think I O'd. I now think there was enough hcg to make the opk go positive.

My progesterone was actually at a decent level the last time. Yeah, It was my first pregnancy. No idea what happened. Didn't even make it to a viability scan.

Normally I need femara. I suspect I have probably never ovulated before.
I had a temp dip today and FF took away cross hairs. I don't think I O'd. I now think there was enough hcg to make the opk go positive.

My progesterone was actually at a decent level the last time. Yeah, It was my first pregnancy. No idea what happened. Didn't even make it to a viability scan.

Oh i see what you mean-low prog isnt really your problem, as long as you take meds to O-your progesterone goes up enough then?I know how annoying it is when people say it but it could just be one if those things.bad luck or whatever. i keep reading that with progesterone like mine that shows definite ovulation but is still quite low that sometimes poor quality/immature eggs can be to blame. I hope not. Im trying not to get ahead of myself here and give the progesterone supplements a chance for a few cycles at least!

I suffered two miscarriages and then read loads about progesterone. It seems people are totally divided on what they think about progesterone in early pregnancy - some people think that low progesterone can cause a miscarriage, others say that low progesterone is simply a symptom of a failing pregnancy and that trying to increase your own progesterone by taking supplements / cyclogest pessaries will not help.

After my second miscarriage I did loads of research and found that the evidence currently suggests that for women who have had recurrent miscarriages, taking progesterone may help, and in some cases can reduce the chance of miscarriage by as much as 50%. I printed out the study that I found and took it to my doctor and pretty much demanded that he prescribe progesterone pessaries for me in case I fell pregnant again. I can't provide the link to the research on this forum but you can find it by Googling:

"My Informed Life does supplemental progesterone prevent early miscarriage"

My doctor didn't believe in prescribing progesterone but when I told him about the research he eventually backed down and agreed to prescribe it for me. I'm so glad he did because I am currently 26 weeks pregnant with things going well and I truly believe it's because I took progesterone until 14 weeks.

Its fantastic you're so far along. I too had 2 early mcs and bloods confirmed low progesterone. I am on cyclogest now (also had to demand it) and got a bfp yesterday at 9dpo-really hoping this one is here to stay. .

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->