Progesterone Deficiency - FYI

butterbaby

Reaction score
Well I searched WTT and there hasn't been much convo on this in a few years so I'm starting it up. Anyone been diagnosed or suspected they have a progesterone deficiency? What were/are your symptoms? Do you know what caused it? Did you treat it?

I saw my naturopathic doctor as I felt like something was not right (my MD offered no ideas regarding possible hormonal issues) and he suggested this may be due to progesterone deficiency. He didn't want to test as its costly, takes lots of time (through ND anyways), and it doesn't hurt to treat it and see if things improve. He didn't say what caused it but from what I've read taking OCP and stress seem to be the main risk factors. The weird thing is that I started developing symptoms of this while I was still on birth control so I stopped it to let my body even out. I feel frustrated knowing that taking OCP may have caused this and feel like others should know.

For me it started with my periods going from 4-5 days of mod-light flow to 2 days of light flow and a day of spotting. I had mild cramping throughout the month, increased headaches, bloating, weight gain of about 5 lbs (specifically in lower abdominal area) despite no change in diet or exercise, and acne. Once off OCP I noticed I was ovulating late in my cycle (CD20 in 28 day cycle - based on CM), fluctuating weight gain of another 5-10 lbs, and in past few months feeling dull/depressed, anxious, more fatigued, and heart palpitations.

Now that I look up the symptoms it all makes sense. The other thing that kept popping up in symptom lists was 'repeated miscarriages' and 'infertility'. I'm so glad I'm identifying this now so I can hopefully prevent heartache that likely would happen if I didn't treat this. For those that don't know, progesterone is what sustains a pregnancy early on and without adequate production of progesterone one would likely have a chemical pregnancy. On top of that, having progesterone out of balance affects all your hormones and can possibly even lead to disease if left untreated for a long time.

I've started taking a chasteberry complex AKA vitex, an herb that helps even out your hormones. What I've read says that it basically helps stimulate and regulate your hormone production so it helps with many hormonal issues, including PMS. For some it may be safe to take in the first trimester and possibly help sustain progesterone levels before the placenta does. I'm hoping this does the trick as it would be nice to let my body fix itself as opposed to having to supplement with progesterone.

Sorry for the long post but I found it fascinating that this is a fairly common issue and many don't discover it until they are actively TTC. I just figured it's best you hear about it now rather than when you get to your TTC date.

I have never been diagnosed but I am in the process of going through testing for recurrent miscarriages and I think progesterone might be my problem.

I fall pregnant really easily, but I have lost three babies. My first baby was miscarried at 6 and a half weeks, my second was conceived whilst on the progesterone only pill (pop/cerazette) and I made it to 8 and a half weeks, and my second I miscarried at 5+2 but it was ectopic so wouldn't have survived anyway. The baby had died before I had any treatment.

I am convinced that progesterone may be the reason for, or a contributing factor in my losses. I guess only time will tell! I have started the testing process now.

I'm so sorry to hear of your losses :( Let me know what you find out, I hope you find an answer!

Much like this I have actually been researching oestrogen dominance and I'm having similar symptoms. From what I've learned, oestrogen dominance and progesterone deficiency go together, as high levels of oestrogen will decrease progesterone. I seem to be in a viscious cycle as I get anxiety, which can be caused by high oestrogen/low progesterone but can also be the cause OF high oestrogen/low progesterone (especially as I also found that the adrenals steal progesterone from the reproductive system when stressed). After I learned that fat stores oestrogen in your body I seem to be a walking oestrogen storage facility as I'm overweight :haha: which means lower progesterone still! This is probably why I miscarried and had chemicals. sigh :shrug::nope: I've also heard that oestrogen dominance and progesterone deficiency are a kind of hidden epidemic.

I started wondering when my panic attacks and depression became cyclic in nature and seemed to happen on their own accord despite me doing all I could to lead a healthy and stress-free lifestyle. Like a switch I would start having them for a week or two and then nothing. I'm going to get this investigated...

Bethy, I have to say how I love your mood swings pic haha. I also have read a bit about estrogen dominance while researching progesterone deficiency. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case for me as I feel like I have most of the symptoms and it would certainly explain me getting teary over stupid commercials and tv shows. Let me know if you find anything out, I'm so sorry you had to experience your losses :( I plan to update this thread as I find out more about my situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->