Progesterone level test in... No idea what it means.

MrsC8776

Mom to twin girls!!
Reaction score
So I didn't see O on digital OPK. FS wanted me to come in for a blood draw to see if O had occurred. All she did was call back the same day and say that O did come, I just missed it. Ok I understand that. But I do not understand that these results I just got back are or what they mean. Just got them in an email so I'm curious.

Follicular Phase
Midfollicular Phase
Midcycle
Luteal Phase

Any help would be great. If numbers are needed please just let me know. Oh and I'm not on medication for IUI.

Hey. I hope I can help - I'll combine my personal experience with my medical knowledge (I'm 3rd year postgrad med).
So, here is a quick summary. And yes, I'll need your numbers!

Follicular phase - Oestrogen dominates here. Follicles are producing it to build up the endometrium of the uterus. At this point progesterone is very low because there is no corpus luteum producing it.

Midcycle - Theoretically, ovulation has occurred. Progesterone will be very low but detectable. When the egg is released from the ovary the remaining structure within the ovary shrivels and becomes the corpus luteum, which produces progesterone. The levels here may indicate that you ovulated but they do not indicate how good your lining is yet.

Luteal/Secretory phase - The most important in terms of progesterone. If progesterone is high here, ovulation has certainly occurred as only the corpus luteum can produce progesterone in such high amounts to be detected. The levels are important, a high progesterone is required to support the uterine lining for implantation to occur. This is the phase when progesterone is most commonly measured. It is best taken at it's peak - usually 7 dpo.

What is your result and on what day of your cycle was it taken?

Hope this helps.

Hey. I hope I can help - I'll combine my personal experience with my medical knowledge (I'm 3rd year postgrad med).
So, here is a quick summary. And yes, I'll need your numbers!

Follicular phase - Oestrogen dominates here. Follicles are producing it to build up the endometrium of the uterus. At this point progesterone is very low because there is no corpus luteum producing it.

Midcycle - Theoretically, ovulation has occurred. Progesterone will be very low but detectable. When the egg is released from the ovary the remaining structure within the ovary shrivels and becomes the corpus luteum, which produces progesterone. The levels here may indicate that you ovulated but they do not indicate how good your lining is yet.

Luteal/Secretory phase - The most important in terms of progesterone. If progesterone is high here, ovulation has certainly occurred as only the corpus luteum can produce progesterone in such high amounts to be detected. The levels are important, a high progesterone is required to support the uterine lining for implantation to occur. This is the phase when progesterone is most commonly measured. It is best taken at it's peak - usually 7 dpo.

What is your result and on what day of your cycle was it taken?

Hope this helps.

Ok thank you for helping me with this and explaining. I was on day 22 of a 26 day cycle. Thats my norm. I think O came around the 4th. They didn't say anything was bad, I was just wondering for future tests. If there is any.

Follicular Phase: ND-1.13
Midfollicular Phase: ND-0.98
Midcycle: 0.48-1.72
Luteal Phase: 0.95-21

PROGESTERONE, SERUM (UFC) >20.0 ng/ml

Ok thank you for helping me with this and explaining. I was on day 22 of a 26 day cycle. Thats my norm. I think O came around the 4th. They didn't say anything was bad, I was just wondering for future tests. If there is any.

Follicular Phase: ND-1.13
Midfollicular Phase: ND-0.98
Midcycle: 0.48-1.72
Luteal Phase: 0.95-21

PROGESTERONE, SERUM (UFC) >20.0 ng/ml

Looks great. I'm assuming those other reference ranges are also in ng/mL? We use nmol/L here but it's easily converted using the wikipedia progesterone chart picture (I'm not allowed to post the URL because I have under 10 posts... apparently I'm a spammer). Just Google progesterone.

Your level of 20 is fantastic, very, very high and especially so late in your cycle (?). Did you BD at all this month? Has AF caught up with you yet?

So you don't have to do a blood test every month I'd recommend starting to temp chart. The only disadvantage is that you know in advance when your out, I had a temp drop this morning and I know the witch is on her way so I'm just sitting here wallowing in my own self pity until she decides to show up.

No BD for me DH is in Afghanistan but on his way home as we speak and he gets in tomorrow morning!! We are going through IUI so BD wouldn't help me much with this. I don't know about ng/mL... I'm lost when it comes to that. I will look it up though. To bad you are a spammer LOL!! You made me laugh with that one though. Thank you for your help and I'm glad everything looks good for me. AF is suppose to be here tomorrow... oh how I wish she would hold off for one day :( Oh well it will be a bitter sweet moment. Sooner AF is here the sooner we can try for round 2.

Ah that's great that he's coming home! Congrats :happydance:

The ng/mL and nmol/L are just concentration values. The only reason I brought it up is that if you compare to other people's posts, they will look very different if they're using the other concentration. For example your 20ng/mL is 60nmol/L so there is a huge difference.

Ah yes, you're completely right. AF is oh so bitter-sweet.

Good luck for your BFP for next cycle! Will your DH be present for the IUI or does he have to head back?

Thank you! DH will be home for the next cycle. He will be home for about 29 days this time. Not long but its better than nothing. I am so EXCITED!! :happy dance:

Good to know my results will look much different than other. Had I looked I might have worried. Are you ttc assisted? Either way I wish you luck on your next BFP as well!! :flower:

I'm semi-assisted. I have premature ovarian failure (was diagnosed earlier this year at the age of 23) and have to have a baby literally now or never. We haven't succeeded unassisted so far.
My gynae has given me some clomid to make me hyper ovulate. Fingers crossed for both of us!

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm 24 and that would be difficult. You have come to the right spot for support :hugs: I've heard great things about Clomid so I would say thats a good thing. I will keep my fingers crossed for you and keep you in my thoughts!! Let me know how things go for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->