Progesterone supplements vs. early pregnancy symptoms

VioletsMommy

Reaction score
So after a CP last month (and my MC in 2016) I went to my doc and she put me on progesterone supplements this month. She said I could take them orally or vaginally but that orally they can cause more of a upset stomach and tiredness, so I take them vaginally before bed. She told me to start them on CD 17 (she is reasonably certain I am ovulating between CD 14-16 and that the range is covered by my AIs) which was last Tuesday, so now it's... ugh, math... CD 20... according to the temps I did take, O was likely on CD 14... anyways. I have been having a bit of vertigo periodically, and my sleep patterns are a little different (go to bed earlier, wake up earlier)... but today was the first day I noticed anything really different. I woke up, was hungry (which is odd because I almost never eat in the morning) so I had some grilled cheese, and then I was nauseated and tired so I took a nap, which I haven't done in a LONG time, then woke up (still nauseated) and went to the grocery store where fatigue and vertigo were so bad I was leaning on the shopping cart.

A quick google search tells me that these things are all associated with rising progesterone, which makes sense, but what I'm wondering is, if I'm on a steady amount of progesterone every day, will it continue to increase in concentration even if I'm not pregnant, or does it remain consistant if you're not pregnant, or level off at some point? Because those things were so much more noticable today, and brain is trying to figure out if it's just the supplement or if it's the real deal!

After the past couple months I swore off early testing so I probably won't test until maybe late this week, but that won't keep me from obsessing.

I would 100% use them vaginally, as you are, because orally they have to be processed by your liver which can increase the chances of side effects. Vaginally you're completely bypassing the liver which is good side effect wise, and also many believe that it's best vaginally because they're getting right to the right place faster.

Your symptoms could easily be related to the increase in progesterone. What happens, whether you're on supplements or if you're not and you have normal levels naturally, progesterone increases very quickly and peaks about halfway through your luteal phase. This is why they like to test for levels about a week before your period, because levels should be at their highest. By the way, if you do have levels tested then make sure you don't eat until you have them done as it's meant to be a fasting test because food can lower levels. I didn't know that, I don't know if it's common knowledge and I just wasn't told, but I thankfully came across it online before I had mine taken.
Anyway, I *think* levels tend to hover for a few days then they will drop immediately before your period or the day it shows. This won't happen using the supplements, this is why if you keep using them they will delay your period. Usually the advice is to test when period is due and if negative stop using them so your body can kickstart your period, this can take a couple of days to happen.
So, even if you aren't pregnant, by using the supplements you will be keeping levels higher, until you stop. If you are pregnant, then I would imagine they will increase further or stabilise, I'm not too sure tbh, but it would make logical sense that they increase because they would naturally when pregnant anyway, so if your own levels are increasing and you're then using supplements on top, then I would think they increase further. But you would have to ask your doctor about that to be sure.

You could be feeling early symptoms if you conceived, if you're around 6dpo the likelihood of it being pregnancy related is low but isn't unheard of. But it would make more sense at this point that it's the supplements doing this. You're having an increase on top of an increase if that makes sense, because you're boosting your own levels, so your body probably needs to adjust to this. They can make you feel all the things you have listed above.
Fingers crossed for you these do the trick :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->