Progesterone

Sweetie

DD, DS, and a Surprise!!!
Reaction score
When do/ would you stop taking it.. I think my doctor prescribed me too many pills and the container says to take until finished... I thought they weren't to be taken past a certain time frame. Anyone know???

My IVF clinic have advised to take them up til 12 weeks and then decrease gradually - I would check with your doctor though when you should start to decrease the dose

xxx

12-15 weeks is when the placenta takes over completely. What I have done is start to decrease the dosage gradually at 12 weeks.

I'm not taking the pills or pessaries but having progesterone injections twice a week instead. Not sure if the pills work in a different way, but I've been prescribed 200mg twice a week until 12 weeks, then they look at decreasing the dose reeaaaaaalllly slowly based on results of blood tests every 2 weeks. Despite the placenta taking over around 14 weeks the dose is still decreased as needed, up to 20 weeks. This is just info my clinic has given me, I expect i'll be on it for a while past 12 weeks based on this. Again this also relates to injectable progesterone, however I don't see why the tapering off of dose method wouldn't apply to other ways of administering the hormone.

So I guess if/when you do come off them it would be by decreasing the dose rather than by going cold turkey. Our bodies don't like sudden stops and starts of hormones.
Good luck :)

I am on pessaries and I run out on Saturday so I would be 8wks5day. I am hoping it isn't to early. Although in previous pregnancies I never had a progesterone issue, I am only on them now cause of my IVF cycle.

^ Hmm, I'm no expert, maybe you will need a repeat script? Otherwise maybe call your clinic? Sorry I'm not more help! :wacko:

Dr. told me to take them until I was 12 weeks. :)

I'm on morning / evening dose of progesterone and have been told to stop when my current prescription runs out (I'll be 12 weeks exactly). Worried about just dropping right off like that though...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"