Progesterone

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by Sweetie, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Sweetie

Sweetie DD, DS, and a Surprise!!!

When do/ would you stop taking it.. I think my doctor prescribed me too many pills and the container says to take until finished... I thought they weren't to be taken past a certain time frame. Anyone know???

2. Viz1975

Viz1975 Well-Known Member

My IVF clinic have advised to take them up til 12 weeks and then decrease gradually - I would check with your doctor though when you should start to decrease the dose

xxx

3. mamato2more

mamato2more Number 9 on the way

12-15 weeks is when the placenta takes over completely. What I have done is start to decrease the dosage gradually at 12 weeks.

4. Carmello_01

Carmello_01 Grateful everyday

I'm not taking the pills or pessaries but having progesterone injections twice a week instead. Not sure if the pills work in a different way, but I've been prescribed 200mg twice a week until 12 weeks, then they look at decreasing the dose reeaaaaaalllly slowly based on results of blood tests every 2 weeks. Despite the placenta taking over around 14 weeks the dose is still decreased as needed, up to 20 weeks. This is just info my clinic has given me, I expect i'll be on it for a while past 12 weeks based on this. Again this also relates to injectable progesterone, however I don't see why the tapering off of dose method wouldn't apply to other ways of administering the hormone.

So I guess if/when you do come off them it would be by decreasing the dose rather than by going cold turkey. Our bodies don't like sudden stops and starts of hormones.
    Good luck :)

5. bek74

bek74 Mum of 5

I am on pessaries and I run out on Saturday so I would be 8wks5day. I am hoping it isn't to early. Although in previous pregnancies I never had a progesterone issue, I am only on them now cause of my IVF cycle.

6. Carmello_01

Carmello_01 Grateful everyday

^ Hmm, I'm no expert, maybe you will need a repeat script? Otherwise maybe call your clinic? Sorry I'm not more help! :wacko:

7. Blessed1

Blessed1 Well-Known Member

Dr. told me to take them until I was 12 weeks. :)

8. meganb

meganb Well-Known Member

I'm on morning / evening dose of progesterone and have been told to stop when my current prescription runs out (I'll be 12 weeks exactly). Worried about just dropping right off like that though...?