Prolonged breastfeeding, advice from the mum who's baby stopped way too early.

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by Wombat, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Wombat

Wombat Married mum of 2:)

Hi girls,

I don't know where to begin. I loved breastfeeding but had problems with it. So we even didn't get to the full 6 months mark, when my DS started to prefer bottle to my boobies. It still hurts me and with this baby I hope to breastfeed longer.

So, just wanted to say, that please don't be pressured to stop after a year...

I still give my DS a bottle before bedtime and one at 10pm, and just yesterday when I was giving those to him I had that incredible sadness that I can't still breastfeed. I am giving a bottle to my baby but not my milk. I hope I am explaining it right... I really wish, that instead a bottle he would have a breastfeed. Before I had him, I thought it is a bit "strange" to breastfeed past the certain age (for me it was around a year), but I mean, if he still wants a milk feed, it would have been so much better ot give him my own milk.

:hug:

2. soliloquise

soliloquise one gorgeous daughter

have you thought about using techniques to start your milk supply again? and then even if your baby will not breast feed you could bottle feed? it can be done, even with women who have not been pregnant and who have adopted ?

3. soliloquise

4. soliloquise

5. Wombat

Wombat Married mum of 2:)

soliloquise: Thanks hun:hug: But I am affraid that my train is gone now. I tried to relactate at 9 months (my little boy wasn't interested), so then I tried to express, but it was way too much and hard work for me, then tried again after his first birthday, again, just too much work (after days of trying all I was able to express was less then 1/2 oz). So I gave up for good (which was pretty sad, as my milk only JUST dried up).
    Hopefully will do better with this bubba :D

6. freckleonear

freckleonear Crunchy mummy

Thanks for sharing. :hugs: I hope you find things easier with your next little one.

7. Mervs Mum

Mervs Mum Doula & Mum of 3!

:hug:

Thanks for sharing hun. Better luck this time. I'm hoping to do a year now even though today a dear friend of mine asked me if I felt 'weird' to be still feeding her myself....she's only a baby still and she needs milk so why not?

Anyway big :hug: to you x

8. soliloquise

aww was worth a try... good luck with your baby.. x