Protein shakes for constant hunger?

Rymel12

Reaction score
Hi ladies,
I'm trying to find a solution to curbing my constant hunger when I'm at work and don't always have time to graze on whatever my body wants at that time. I was looking into whey protein shakes. It seems to be a controversial thing to drink during pregnancy. I found one brand (jay Robb)that's organic and does not contain any types of hormones or artificial sweetners which seems to be the big no no with them. I'm going to check with my Dr on Monday, but I was just wondering if anyone on here is using protein shakes to help curb hunger in between meals.

I don't know much about them but I think I'd stay clear of very processed foods like that on a regular basis. There are natural, real food alternatives that you could try first, such as a handful of almonds, a piece of cheese with an oatcake, a banana, a yoghurt or yoghurt drink, baked chickpeas, peanut butter crackers, oat cookies... Or even a yoghurt based smoothie?

Ooo I should try a yogurt smoothie! Haven't tried that yet. Almonds were my go to snack last pregnancy but this time they aren't cutting it for me and I still get nausea after snacking on them. If I have small amounts of chicken with black beans as a snack I feel great, but sometimes I can't be munching on food when I'm with clients, but a sip of a smoothie here and there wouldn't bother anyone. Thanks for the ideas. 😀

I second the smoothie idea! It's what I do if I'm hungry between meals and if you make your own you know exactly what's going in with no nasties. My DH is a bit of a fitness/gym freak and he uses protein shakes. Looking at the ingredients personally I wouldn't drink them while expecting.

I would just ensure that if you do have protein shakes ensure you avoid soy. Lots if protein shakes, especially geared towards women, use soy for the protein and call it 'natural'. Other than being the biggest GMO & Round Up grown food, soy produces estrogen hormones which women & children don't need. Most European, Austrail-asian, and Scsndenavian countries around the world have banned all soy from infant products as it can render them sterile. America has massive soy lobby groups so soy is still sold in most products for adults & children. Women over 30 heading into menopause produce mire estrogen naturally so we just don't need extra high doses if soy. And who knows how it'd effect pregnancy. Most other protein is fine.

I agree with the other ladies you'll be best with more natural protein sources. A lot of protein shakes are designed to aid muscle recovery so they have all sorts of chemicals and vitamins etc in that probably aren't suitable for pregnancy.

I don't think protein shakes are a bad idea as long as they don't include caffeine or any metabolic boosters. I doubt they're any more or less processed than most the stuff people eat these days. However, I also deal with hunger during meetings and I don't know if protein shakes will totally cut it. Shakes may be great, but who can make shakes at work? I recommend Kefir yogurt drinks. And cutting down on carbs to minimize plummeting blood sugar episodes has helped me a TON. Cottage cheese and avocado is a great pre meeting snack, maybe with some lunch meat or some beans, then keep the yogurt drink in a covered coffee cup - you're golden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->