Question about bedding

Jcliff

Reaction score
Should baby not have bumper on crib front as a newborn? I was also told no bumper at all. Of course then my sister told me I can do whatever! Any one know?

I've been told no bumper by a lot of people but i can't honestly think of anyone i know who's had a baby and hasn't had a bumper in their crib.

I have a breatheable bumper on Austin's crib! It is adorable and made so if his face is against it he can breathe :)

I was told no bumpers at my class in the hospital but I dont want babys legs/arms coming out of crib so I am going to be using the breathable bumper as well. I am not sure why the hospital is against the mesh breathable ones as well. As its so thin and has holes for ventilation. I figure if it becomes a worry I will just take it off. But for now she isnt here yet and im enjoying looking at the pink around her white crib. Also I will never swaddle baby in a blanket or have anything in crib besides a sheet so I feel that should keep her safe. I would say do whats best for you! Also they do have the wonder bumpers for the side rails! I love them but unfortunately I couldn't spend 90 on them atm.

I was told no bumper but I had one on my cot for decoration, however baby was in Moses basket till about 4.5 months then the cot in my room, as soon as she started moving in the night I removed it. They shouldn't have the duvet either until they are 1 so whilst the nursery bedding sets are pretty, they are a complete waste of money!

I always be curious about this because here in the uk no one puts their baby in a cot until about four months. We either use a little crib thing or a Moses basket. Why do they not allow you to use bumpers over there? It's so frustrating the way they ban everything! Makes you so worried xxx

I personally won't be using one. Baby will be in a Moses basket at first and once baby can move around more I wouldn't want to risk them getting caught up in the bumper.

I will be using one and I did with dd
Baby will be in cot from day 1 Moses basket downstairs
Baby lies feet to foot of cot anyway so is no where near the bumper anyway

Sids research has shown that anyhing in the cot other then the babys blankets which should be tucked in can cause sids...

This is why they recommend against it.

I have one but baby will be in moses basket until 4-6 months then will be placed at the foot of the cot, nowhere near the bumper. By the time baby is big enough to actually be at the top of the cot where the bumper is, he'll be big enough for a bed!

I always be curious about this because here in the uk no one puts their baby in a cot until about four months. We either use a little crib thing or a Moses basket. Why do they not allow you to use bumpers over there? It's so frustrating the way they ban everything! Makes you so worried xxx

I'm in the UK and my daughter was in a cot from 7 weeks. She was so wriggly I was concerned that she would topple the moses basket.

Bumpers are frowned upon in certain countries due to the fact that a little one is unable to realise if they are not breathing correctly. There is an increased risk of cot death as babies may not be able to breathe when they are pressed against the bumper. Hence why breathable bumpers are a much more popular choice now. xx

I have a bumper ready to go on our crib, guess we won't be using it now! Glad I saw this thread x

I have one but baby will be in moses basket until 4-6 months then will be placed at the foot of the cot, nowhere near the bumper. By the time baby is big enough to actually be at the top of the cot where the bumper is, he'll be big enough for a bed!

Babies once they hit 4 months+ move ALOT in their cots so will move then likely end up at the other end of the cot.

Ive never known a term baby to last longer then 8 weeks in a moses basket :flower:

^^^ this... they end up sideways up the top wriggling in their sleep by 6-8 months lol

We didnt and dont have a crib bumper, but only because we havnt found any we like!! We had and will have a cot bumper, the half kind, at the top end of the cot, while bsby sleeps at the bottom.

Babies once they hit 4 months+ move ALOT in their cots so will move then likely end up at the other end of the cot.

Ive never known a term baby to last longer then 8 weeks in a moses basket :flower:

My son was 9lbs 11 and we managed just fine. When he got too wriggly we put the moses basket in the cot and he slept in that.

Just in case anyone was wondering about whether to have a bumper or not, here is some info on them and I've posted a couple of links to the breathable bumpers too. Hope it helps ladies xx

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2054890/Cot-death-Bumper-pads-risk-babies.html

https://www.scotsman.com/news/single-mum-s-cot-wrap-creation-fills-a-gap-in-the-market-1-834520

https://www.safedreams.co.uk/shop-cot-wraps/

https://www.purflo.com/purflo_bumper.php

I was given the matching one for our crib set as a gift... otherwise I wouldn't have spent the $ on it. I'll keep it up while we're here as baby will be about 3 months old when we move into our house and be wriggling around a bunch more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->