Question about bedding

I'm not one to worry much about SIDS. No one knows what causes it and there are people that follow SIDS guidelines to a T and still lose their child to SIDS. My son had a bumper and so will my daughter, however they don't go into their crib until about 8 or 9 months. Just do what you are comfortable doing. It doesn't make you a bad mom if you do use one.

Thanks all. seems to be alot of mixed reviews lol. Baby wont be in crib right away, but in moses IN crib since we dont have a spare room and crib is literally right next to my head. I will probably take out bumper when she starts to move alot. The first few weeks shell be swaddled! anyway. thanks!

I will be using one and I did with dd
Baby will be in cot from day 1 Moses basket downstairs
Baby lies feet to foot of cot anyway so is no where near the bumper anyway

I was about to say the exact same thing!

We will have a cot from day 1, baby's head won't be anywhere near the bumper, so we will leave it on unless it somehow seems to be a problem.

Not using a moses basket as worried our dog will jump up on it to see baby & knock it over (he can open the doors in our house annoyingly!).

Took an infant cpr class this weekend at hospital and they also said no bumpers, along with anything else...jsut a fitted sheet. I didn't get one for my crib as I see no use for it; although I saw where one person used hers as a teething guard on the top rail and it was quite cute.

There will be one on my LO's cotbed purely for decoration. I'll be bed sharing when she's here. When she goes into cot at some stage the bumper will be removed.

We put our bumpers on the outside of the crib all the way at the top. even on the highest setting the bumpers won't be anywhere near his face. He will be in with us in his pack and play for the first months so I don't see them being a problem. I don't think I would use them once he was moving in the traditional way just because I'm paranoid like that. Hopefully you can make the right decision for you and your family :)

I used mine as a wall hanging...

Much easier out of the way and still prety

https://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh70/91drac51/20130309_153352.jpg

I'm not one to worry much about SIDS. No one knows what causes it and there are people that follow SIDS guidelines to a T and still lose their child to SIDS. My son had a bumper and so will my daughter, however they don't go into their crib until about 8 or 9 months. Just do what you are comfortable doing. It doesn't make you a bad mom if you do use one.

Seems like kind of a flippant thing to say.

No one knows yet what causes it definitively and there are a myriad of reasons that contribute to it.

However the more research is done, the more babies are saved. The guidelines are there because the research has shown a higher risk for certain things. Genetics may certainly play a part and this may be part of the reason why some babies die despite their parents following the guidelines.

For me personally, I trust the research and I follow the guidelines. My eldest daughter had a bumper on her cot (she's 15 now) but none of the others did because new guidelines came out, which I was happy to follow. The rate of SIDS has dropped dramatically since the research guidelines started being implemented. This alone tells me that they are on the right track and I will trust them.

Babies can and do wriggle around despite being wrapped and despite a bumper only being at the top of the cot, they can still wriggle to it in the middle of the night so the risk is potentially still there.

I had a brother who died of SIDS when he was 11 months old. I will take every guideline the researchers can give me and say thank you very much.

To say that you don't worry about, and won't use their guidelines because sometimes babies die anyway, is like saying you would cross a busy highway without looking cause sometimes people get hit by cars and die even when they did look. You do what you can to prevent things happening, not live in ignorance because bad things happen anyway. That's my take on it anyway.

We've bought a breathable wrap-around that fastens with velcro for the crib - I'm pro them as the SIDS research is mixed (not enough evidence either way), and I personally think that baby has far far higher chance of getting a leg/arm trapped between the cot/crib spindles if a bumper isn't used than of a bumper causing SIDS.

A leg/arm trapped can be easily remedied as long as you answer your babies cries. I don't use a crib/cot, but also know that bumper issues are not just suffocation. They decrease air flow in the crib around baby, another issue when not comes to SIDS. It's also much easier to keep a visual watch on your baby from afar without one.
I agree that many countries are on overkill with some safety regulations- US banning all drop side cribs when a few were defective; the UK causing moms to spend so much more on "lay down" type baby cariers/strollers saying babies spines are at danger (yet the US and other countries who are encouraged to use carseats striker and non-full reclined strollers have no more instance of spine issues), you name it, many countries frowning on bed sharing when almost all issues have come from people not following simple rules, etc.
But I have to agree with the push against putting a padded bumper around the crib. A breathable bumper will work, but no bumper is just as good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->