question about being viable

LousMom

Mommy of 2 princesses
Reaction score
Hi ladies, this may be a dumb question on my part --- but I have to ask.

At first I didn't even know what viable (and pregnant) meant until I googled it -- and the definition was basically that IF the baby were born at this point there was a great chance that the baby would be ok.

So, with that said --- I thought you weren't really viable until like 26-28 weeks? 24 weeks is what I typically see on here and that seems SO early to be truly viable.

Am I nuts? Don't get me wrong, I want to be viable as early as possible! But I want to be realistic too...

thanks ladies:)

according to most sites its at 24 weeks chick, and chances of survival increase each week after whereas before 24 weeks its something like a 16% chance xx

24 weeks is considered to be viable as that is the age at which a NICU would take a baby. Some units (mine included) will actually take a baby at 23 weeks.

I could be completely wrong but from what I've read it says there is a 40% chance of survival at 24 weeks and every day after it increases 2%. I'm not really sure though because different sites say different things. I hope you get the answers your looking for!

Hey there, I just thought at the 12 week scan it meant that the LO was developing according to it's dates at that point.............. it is the only explanation I can think of as they have wrote the very romantic note "single viable fetus" onto my appointment card after my scan at 11+3.

It's 24 weeks for the baby to be admitted to Special Care Baby Units etc... Before that the hospital has no obligation to do anything if the baby comes as the foetus is below the legal abortion limit and isn't considered to have much of a chance of survival outside the womb. Being viable doesn't mean the baby would be okay, just that it would stand a chance, and of course from 26+ weeks it stands a much better chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->