Question about cake involving alcohol!?

Essence

Due March 10, 2010!!!
Reaction score
Okay I am CD25, and guessing about 11dpo (I am not sure when exactly I ovulated) in an estimated 28day cycle (Once again estimated as last month I was 3 days early and I have only been off birth control pills since August so I am guessing I could get irregular cycles but so far they are about steady 25-28ish days) I have NO cramps (Usually have cramps from AF around this time) and am feeling good. Breasts are a little bit sensitive but not nearly as much as last month when I mistook the boob-pain as preg signs but they were actually just signs of AF.

Okay now for my question.. My hubbies birthday is tomorrow and the cake that he LOVES is something I make that has a little bit of Kahlua soaked in to the cooked cake. Kahlua is 20% alcohol but I do not put much in and the cake is very large so I wont be having much- but I am afraid that I am going to have to tell him "No I can't make you your favorite cake even though I said I would". Could I make it without the Kahlua? Yes, but it wouldn't be the same cake because that stuff adds a lot of flavor, Lol.

So.. looking for advice. We are non-drinkers, non smokers etc.. so if I am pregnant this baby has not been effected by even any second hand smoke or sips of wine... but I am guessing that having some of this cake is a big no no.. am I correct?

I have heard from many different doctors that a little bit of alcohol, especially until about 8th week of pregnancy is fine. In fact, many children are conceived under the influence of alcohol, and many people don't know they are pregnant until a couple of missed cycles and have a drink, and it is fine. Apparently the baby must attach first, then form the umbilical cord before it takes nutrients from what its mother consumes in vivo, so you are pretty safe for the first 6 weeks or so of the baby's life, from what I've been told.

Of course, if you will not enjoy the cake, and if your hubby won't be able to enjoy it because you are worrying, then I say either bake two cakes or get him another one.

My guess is that the risk for damage is very low at this point. (I am not a doctor though!)

Baby dust to you!

A

Even if the cake WOULD get you drunk if you ate a piece, why would you not make it? It's your husband's birthday, and if that's his fave cake, I think you should bake it for him. Not like you have to have a piece, you know?

Regardless, I think that the baking process would probably cook off a decent amount of alcohol, so you'd probably be fine just having a small piece. *Edit- oops! Just noticed that you soak it in after the cake has been baked. I still think it'd be OK, though. I say Kahlua cake, here you come! :cake: (By the way, will you send me a piece, too? :rofl:)

I think you're fine to put the Kahlua in the cake...do you bake the cake after you put the kahlua in it? If so, the temperature will cook the alcohol out of the cake.

By the way you spoke in your first paragraph, it looks like you have a very sensible view on your cycle this month...GOOD LUCK, I hope you get your BFP!

Thanks so much guys!

And I agree- I dont have to have a piece but my hubby is pretty sensitive and if he sees me not having one he will feel bad having it to, Lol.

And yeah- the Kahlua is put on after the cake it baked- and YES it is delicious! Lol. My mom and I when I was younger used to make it only for very special occasions and the first time I ever made it for hubby he couldn't believe it and says it is the best cake ever and whenever I ask him what he wants for his Bday.. he says the cake! Lol.

Thanks guys and especially thank you for the baby dust! Hubby and I are staying very positive this month because we did something a little bit different in hopes to boost our chances. :)

Best of luck to you, Essence! I hope your new technique worked- feel free to share it with us if you'd like! :)

For goodness sake (cake! :)) dont worry! a) you cannot stop living completely while ttc otherwise you might be living a very boring life for a while, lol!

b) if you were pg your baby/embryo would be living off your period and is not getting anything directly from your bloodsupply til week 5 when it starts building a placenta.

You can have your cake and eat it too... if there's anything left over... i too would like a piece!!

Enjoy! :)

I agree with Omi, definitely have cake. It sounds yummy

Hahaha, thanks guys. And nah, there isn't enough in there to get drunk, either, Lol. Not even if I ate the whole cake and never left any for hubby, haha.

So, the cake is currently soaking in the 1/2 cup of Kahlua, thanks so much guys!

Oh and our new technique:

Last month while TTC, after doing the deed, I would use the washroom and clean up right away- but then hubby and i were reading that if you just stay laying on your back, (Maybe even have a pillow under your bum to raise your hips) and dont wash up right away there is a much higher chance of conceiving because less of the sperm are pulled out by the gravity and are given more time to 'explore'. So, we decided to do the deed before bed every night and then I just stayed in bed until the morning when I had a shower.. and so far I am hoping for good results (Feels more promising than last month!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->