Question about cervix.

lunarsea

Mother & Expecting No. 2!
Reaction score
So my doc said my cervix looked perfect at 14 weeks,
because I had kept reading about incompetent cervix,
and may have scared myself a bit.

But my question is, is it possible for it to become weaker (the cervix)?
Or does it hold strong?

The reason I'm paranoid is because I have marginal placenta previa (thankfully the kind most likely to move up) and he can't do anymore vaginal exams until it moves up, and if it doesn't, he can't do anymore at all during this pregnancy, so he can't even examine the cervix anymore.

I feel silly being paranoid about my cervix randomly becoming weak when he said it looked pretty much perfectly normal,
but I can't help it :shrug:

I feel like that was a stupid question haha.

It isn't a stupid question at all. If you have doubts about something, it is important to get it checked. I say so because I am paranoid about cervical incompetence. I find it a serious flaw in medical systems that they diagnose one only by means of a previous miscarriage.

To answer your question, get it checked again if it is bothering you. A transvaginal ultrasound is perfectly fine, isn't it? I got one and I have a low-lying placenta like you. Talk about your concerns to your doctor, I am sure s/he will understand.

Actually, I do not know about the cervix thinning out after the 14th week. It probably does? My cervix measured 3.5 at 18 weeks. I am hoping that it doesn't thin out or efface! I am going for a prenatal class today, so I will find out for you.

don't feel silly hun your cervix should stay fine. I also have marginal placenta previa- which isnt actually a placenta previa just that its marginal and close to being one. It should definatly move up. i think mine already has but i wont find out for another 8 weeks x

It isn't a stupid question at all. If you have doubts about something, it is important to get it checked. I say so because I am paranoid about cervical incompetence. I find it a serious flaw in medical systems that they diagnose one only by means of a previous miscarriage.

To answer your question, get it checked again if it is bothering you. A transvaginal ultrasound is perfectly fine, isn't it? I got one and I have a low-lying placenta like you. Talk about your concerns to your doctor, I am sure s/he will understand.

Actually, I do not know about the cervix thinning out after the 14th week. It probably does? My cervix measured 3.5 at 18 weeks. I am hoping that it doesn't thin out or efface! I am going for a prenatal class today, so I will find out for you.

Well, he doesn't really want to risk any bleeding if he does another vaginal exam of any kind, considering he probably does not want to get sued if something does happen, ha.

But I honestly think I'm just being super paranoid, because I haven't felt anything weird in that area and haven't had any abnormal discharge.

But let me know!

don't feel silly hun your cervix should stay fine. I also have marginal placenta previa- which isnt actually a placenta previa just that its marginal and close to being one. It should definatly move up. i think mine already has but i wont find out for another 8 weeks x

Hopefully our placentas move or have moved up, since its been about a month since I've had my last US.
Good luck :)

Hmm they havent even checked my cervix yet

Hopefully our placentas move or have moved up, since its been about a month since I've had my last US.

mine was covering it at 19 weeks. it has to be 2. something centmetres away but people with it covering by heaps have a good chance of moving so we should be sweeeet :D:D When do u have ur next scan? mines at 36 weeks xx

mine was covering it at 19 weeks. it has to be 2. something centmetres away but people with it covering by heaps have a good chance of moving so we should be sweeeet :D:D When do u have ur next scan? mines at 36 weeks xx

Yay haha :)

And my next scan is sometime between 22-23 weeks, I'm not sure why its so close together, but at least I get to see my LO again :)
Hopefully, it will have moved up to at least 2 cm away and another scan won't be necessary after that. (Although I wouldn't mind seeing my LO two more times, I'm trying not to be selfish haha)
I'm also hoping it moves up for the reason that I can't have sex until then,
but I can hold off til it moves (even if I don't enjoy it much haha)

lol!! You can still have sex! Just nothing vigarous that is going to cause your cervix to move if u know what I mean. Just have a gentle slow one and you should be fine. I don't hardly ever though because of that reason and also becasue i now have no sex drive at all, espesh when LO is squirming around at the time it just doesnt feel right lol. But yea u will be sweet just dont go riding at 100 mph :haha:

lol!! You can still have sex! Just nothing vigarous that is going to cause your cervix to move if u know what I mean. Just have a gentle slow one and you should be fine. I don't hardly ever though because of that reason and also becasue i now have no sex drive at all, espesh when LO is squirming around at the time it just doesnt feel right lol. But yea u will be sweet just dont go riding at 100 mph :haha:

hahah, to be honest, I already have since I found out, but I was so paranoid the whole time it wasnt as exciting or enjoyable,
but only reason I'm abstaining (or trying to hahah) is because the doctor suggested that it could cause hemorraging if it got out of hand,
so I'm sticking on the safe side.... sorta.

and oh godd, i cant imagine feeling LO move around during sex,
i would feel awkward ha, so i can imagine.

I had to laugh at the doctor saying "if it gets out of hand. (if WHAT gets out of hand) ahem :haha: gettin too rough haahaa

My doctor apparently sees me as the type that might let "it get out of hand" haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"