question about dating a pregnancy on a scan??

Stacey_89

Team PINK
Reaction score
I only have to wait until monday for my 4th scan but my head is all over the place with what ifs and could it be this??

basicly I had a loss in august,must of only been 5 weeks or something
didnt even know I was pregnant as my 1st lot of bleeding started on CD33 so thought it was AF. But then I bled again on 29th aug with severe pains and thats when I found out. Had bloods done for the next week and finaly tested negative.

then on 30th sept had a bfp
1st and 3rd October bfp on cb digital 1-2 pregnant.

I calculated the pregnancy myself using first day of last bleeding (29th aug ) so thought I was 6 weeks + at my scan but was just under 5 with empty sac
scan 6 days later showed yolk sac and beginning of fetal pole.
had a scan two weeks later expecting to see hb but baby was only measuring 5 weeks with no heartbeat.

so now the question is could this be a MMC or were my dates very wrong?

so now im thinking seeing as I didnt have AF between my loss how would they date it on a scan? Would they give me the week measuring the baby so since conception
or would they just already add those two weeks on even though I didnt even have a AF?

Iv worked out a date in my head when I got pregnant and that would actually make conception dating 5 weeks 5 days so I was only out by 5 days.
or do I have it wrong? Should baby really measure 7 weeks? Even though its possible its been 5 weeks 5 days since conception.

iv read a few posts where peoples dates have worked out to be correct with conception date as they had no AF.

sorry for the long winded post....I hate not knowing :(
Is this is a mmc or what :cry:

If you know your conception date, then you'd add 2 weeks to that for your dating.
For dating on scans they consider you pregnant 2 weeks before you actually are pregnant. I know it doesn't make sense, but that's how they do it bc it's easier for them to date a pregnancy by the lmp than by conception bc not everyone knows when they ovulate. So if you ovulated 5 weeks ago, your pregnancy would be 7 weeks and that is what the scan would show even tho the baby, in reality, is not 7 weeks. I'm sorry you're going thru this. My first pregnancy was a missed miscarriage. I hope that things work out for you and your next scan shows progress.

Sorry you're going through this. From what I understand, you saw a yolk sac and fetal pole and then had another scan 2 weeks later? I'm no doctor, but it doesn't sound too promising... it's not the conception date that's the problem, it's the fact that in 2 weeks the embryo hasn't really grown:( Once the fetal pole starts forming it should grow about 1mm a day, and there should be a heartbeat...

Again I'm really hoping I'm wrong, but I don't want to tell you everything will be okay with the baby when there's a risk it won't:hugs:

Thanks for you honest replys.
deep down I know its not good :( I just kept looking around for a glimpse of hope and thinking what if that happena but I know im heading for a mmc :cry:
two losses in 3 months, iv never felt so frustrated and angry at my body and I think to myself will I ever have another baby? going on a break after this and give my body two cycles before trying again :(

Like the pp's I don't want to give you false hope but it can be difficult dating from after a mc as you may not have ovulated when you would typically expect to. Having said that if you've had scans then they should give you a little more of an insight x x

Well my last 2 scans went fine. 1st one empty sac and they sais thats fine,2nd one yolk sac and beginning of a fetal pole but she also said she couldnt be sure as it was so early.
and then this one they actualy saw the baby but said it was tiny and measuring 5 weeks...
but im not getting my hopes up at all, by the looks of it baby must of died litrally few days after my last scan.
And I have no idea when I ovulated so I wouldn't of even known what dpo I was when I tested.

It all just feels like a cruel trick what my body is doing :(

deep down I know its not good :( I just kept looking around for a glimpse of hope and thinking what if that happena but I know im heading for a mmc :cry:
two losses in 3 months, iv never felt so frustrated and angry at my body and I think to myself will I ever have another baby? going on a break after this and give my body two cycles before trying again :(

I know the feeling :hugs: I had 2 miscarriages in 4 months before having DD1, and after my 2nd one, I started wondering if I'd ever have a baby. Got pregnant on the first cycke after my 2nd loss and finally had my rainbow baby:)

I know the feeling :hugs: I had 2 miscarriages in 4 months before having DD1, and after my 2nd one, I started wondering if I'd ever have a baby. Got pregnant on the first cycke after my 2nd loss and finally had my rainbow baby:)

Thats fab :)
The more I think about it the more im feeling prepared for monday,iv already accepted this pregnancy is a loss and iv had my week of tears and stressing.
Without it sounding horrible im just wanting the miscarriage to happen now so I can get back to normal and look forward to xmas and start again in the new year x

For DD at her 5w dating scan she was just a sac and yolk. So considering you have a baby there your probably further than 5 weeks. So you might have good news on Monday :)

Well thats exactly what I thought!!
when she said im 5 weeks I thought thats odd cause alot of people have empty sacs at 5 weeks theres no baby until 6 weeks im sure.
it might do but im trying not to be too hopeful, deep down iv already wrote this pregnancy off :(

Monday can't come soon enough!! I just noticed that your betas were not good; what were your levels?

Yeh that was the first problem
They were 1500 when I had a scan and just saw a sac
then 48hrs later 2350
Another 48hrs later they were 3260
So rising but no doubling. Doc said first lot rose by 57% and then second lot rose by 37% but iv read after 2000 they can take upto 72hours to double.
but still dont seem good with whats happening now. I guess it all adds up :(

Thanks for your replys ladies but sadly im now miscarrying :( lots of bleeding and cramps.
in a way im glad its finaly happend and I now know whats happening.
fingers crossed for new year,new start and 3rd time lucky x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->