Question about frozen breast milk.

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by shimmy, Jun 3, 2011.

1. shimmy

shimmy mummy , daddy and baby

Hiya,

Im going away for a few days next month and LO will be with my mum, I will be coming back every now and then for feeds but am going to freeze a lot of milk for my mum to give him.
    Once the breast milk is defrosted how long will it last in the fridge? Because im thinking of stockpiling up and bringing it up there but it will defrost on the way.

2. JaniceT

JaniceT Mum to a gorgeous boy.

Hi, defrosted BM will last 24 hours in the fridge. Do taste and smell to make sure as it may go bad earlier. Why don't you deep freeze your BM, transport it in an ice box with ice packs if your journey is within 4 hours?

3. TigerLady

TigerLady CaveTiger Clan Mama

Hmm... I've always read and been told that thawed milk needs fed or thrown out within 1 hour.

At any rate, I agree about keeping it frozen for transport. Get a cooler and pack it really well in ice. Keep it as frozen as possible and then put it in the freezer again as soon as you get there. If you pack it well enough, it shouldn't thaw enroute. That's your best bet.

4. clarebear2010

clarebear2010 Well-Known Member

I would definitely have a trial beforehand as Sebastian will not drink my milk after it has been frozen.

5. momto4girls

momto4girls Well-Known Member

Well I would throw it in a deep freezer and then put it on ice. we went on a cruise when DD#4 was 6 months old, and I pumped and had my milk stored in a deep freeze on the ship. for the flight home, I put it in a polar bear cooler with freezer packs and checked it at the airport. it was out of the freezer for 10 hours and was just starting to thaw when we got home from the airport. :)

6. kmac625

kmac625 Mom to baby Clara

Not sure where you heard that. Everywhere I've ever read says 24 hours.

https://breastfeeding.hypermart.net/storagehandling.html

7. Poorah

Poorah Active Member

The neonatal my little one is in gives frozen milk 24 hours out of the freezer until it gets chucked.

8. lovingmommy

lovingmommy Mommy of a beautiful girl

I agree with Janice and momto4girls, deep freeze the BM and pack it in a cooler with ice packs. That's what i do when my lo is with anyone besides me. Like Janice said, it will stay good thawed out in the fridge for 24 hours. :)