Question about going into labour...

Pregnancy-No1

Reaction score
My husband works about an hour away from home most of the weekdays, he thinks there should be someone with me at home the last week or two just incase I go into labour... I dont think its necesary? It usually takes a while for the contractions to get regular and it would give him enough time to get here dont you think?

This is my first pregnancy so I dont really have an idea, but from what i've red is it true? :shrug:

I'd say yes hun. You never know what can happen during labor. Your body is going through soo much at that time anything can happen and you might need to get to a hospital ASAP. I pray this is not the case but its good to have someone on hand I'd say. :hugs: good luck!

i have the same problem, my partner works 3 hours away and although he comes home when he can he sometimes as to stay away overnight. Luckily i live near the hospital but even at 30 weeks i get worried if i get any pains at night when i am on my own. I am just gona keep the phone by my bed as i have people who live close by.

The average length of a first abour is 12 hours, if you fall in the typical then you will have ample time to get him home, just make sure he is always accessible and doesn't go out for a liquid lunch.
Personally having someone around would annoy me, but if you think it would make you less nervous then by all means do it.
They'll come in handy to answer callers constantly asking if baby is here yet if nothing more.

My partner works an hour away we have 3 children already and they are my main concern, I'm ringing him as soon as I feel the first twinge (as my last labour was 1hr 40 mins start to finish) and if necessary will take a cab to the hospital with the boys in the hopes of finding a friendly nurse.

It always works out, don't stress the small stuff as someone once said to me :hugs:

Can anyone tell me how long it usually takes for the contractions to build up enough that you leave for the hospital? This is my first baby and b/f is planning on coming home from work as soon as any pains start to bath me and massage how long will he have to do this for! lol x

We've been trying to figure this out too - to try and get an idea of how much time we should keep clear in hubby's work diary.

It's our first time too - so we're just guessing... but I can't have him hang around for 6 weeks not taking any bookings 'just in case'.

I figure if everything goes down the 'average' route - then him knowing when early labour starts should be enough time to find cover and/or get home.

I have a few wonderful neighbours I could call to get me to the hospital (and a hospital-midwife who lives in the village) my folks and brother only live 45 mins away... so I'm 45-90mins from the hospital with help from one of them...

So I'm ordering labour to start 2-3 days early (which will make it midweek and hubby more likely to be at home) little one to arrive on November 5th... at least 3 hours at home to start, an excited but calm drive to the hospital, and a wonderful and safe arrival of our baby girl before I get too worn out ;)

All thoughts and advice welcome ;)

I would think you'll have enough time to get hubby home. Many people are contracting for days off and on before they go into full blown labour. And even if you don't have that there are very few people that just *click finger* have baby like that iykwim. Personally I don't think there is any need for anyone to be with you in that last week or so for fear of going into labour. Where it might be helpful though is that you might feel uncomfortable, not in the mood for doing stuff and if they can help around the house, cook dinner, possibly help you in and out of the bath etc if you like having baths it might be helpful.

I'm worried about my husband getting home but he workd thousands of miles away and it takes him 24 hours to get home and there are three flights per week so we have him coming home the week before, because if he can't get on the flight or I start on a Thur when there's no way out till Monday, then we're really stuck lol!!

I would think you'll have enough time to get hubby home. Many people are contracting for days off and on before they go into full blown labour. And even if you don't have that there are very few people that just *click finger* have baby like that iykwim :) (that is not meant to be rude, its a uk expression and I hope it comes across ok in type lol). Personally I don't think there is any need for anyone to be with you in that last week or so for fear of going into labour. Where it might be helpful though is that you might feel uncomfortable, not in the mood for doing stuff and if they can help around the house, cook dinner, possibly help you in and out of the bath etc if you like having baths it might be helpful.

I'm worried about my husband getting home but he workd thousands of miles away and it takes him 24 hours to get home and there are three flights per week so we have him coming home the week before, because if he can't get on the flight or I start on a Thur when there's no way out till Monday, then we're really stuck lol!!

Ohh think be plenty of time, unless you turn out to be type of women that doesnt fit the "usual labour" lol.
I had 8hrs worth of contractions over 3 nights before labour actually started, so was good sign that things could be starting, therefore OH would have been informed to be on call, lol. Try not to travel too far.
My labour started 4am, never got regular & strong enough to go into hopsital until 12:25am next morning.

With DD, my contractions started at about 12am but it took a while for them to become regular and unbearable. Our hospital was about a 20 minute drive (10minutes at that time of night ;)) and we got there around 4am, so it gave us a good few hours at home to sort myself out before going up there. I'd say an hour would be plenty of time from your first contraction but as has already been said, that's if you fall into the "usual labour" bracket! :hugs:

Personally i dont plan on going to the hospital until i absolutely have to like babys ready to come out lol so im thinking it will be a few hours i would rather be at home than sittin in the hospital and my doc said not to call until im 5 mins apart so i think you would be fine with OH only an hour away.

personally i wouldnt bother, just make sure you still have your phone handy so you can call someone in an emergancy.
labour usually dosnt happen very quickly esp 1st time, so he will have plenty of time to get back if you give him a call as soon as it starts. you can always call someone to come over while he is on the way. i was still doing 1-2 hour dog walks alone right uptill the day i went into labour, lol.
was in labour from 7 am till 9:30 pm before i decided to go to the hospital lo was born 5 hours later, OH took the dog out for me while i was in labour at home, i was going to go too but wanted her to have a proper walk before we set off incase we were at the hospital for hours and hours, i would have just slowed them down :)
if it makes you feel more comfortable to have someone with you then go for it, but personally i wouldnt think it neccassary :)

I mean technically you need someone for 5 weeks, you could go anytime from 37-42, being your first its more likely you will go over. I think its fine that he works an hour away, my labour was 24 hours! ( but i was induced so i did not really go into labour)
so ya, unless you are someone who progresses very very quickly ( and a one hour labour would be very rare) then i think its fine for him to be an hour away. If you desperately needed to go off to the hospital before he came back i am sure he would be able to meet you there in plenty of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->