question about heartbeats and dopplers :)

claire99991

Mum of 2....
Reaction score
Hiya, well at my MW appt last week she was feeling my belly for posistion she said head coming down nicely, however when she put the doppler there she couldnt find the HB but when she put it up the top on my right hand side it came up really loud so she said no your breech, so is the HB picked up around the head then? ive hired a doppler for my last month as it was just a tenner and i wanted to have a play to see if baby turns and just wonderd if babys heartbeat is usually picked up roughly where the head is sitting, anyone know? xxxx

Not too sure but i would be more thinking about her saying the head was coming down nicely then changing her mind that baby is breech!! Strange?

without sounding obvious, and i have never used a doppler, but the heart is closer to the head than it is the bum, so im guessing thats why she decided the lo was breech, having said that i agree i would be slightly concerned that the midwife was wrong in the first place

in the information pack i got with my doppler it says that the hb is picked up from babies back hope this helps hun x

yes she couldnt tell the differnce between the hard lump at the bottom and hard lump at the top but cos she picked up the HB at the top she said thats where he was, i have to go to hosp next week for them to check pposistion anyway i was just curious x

The heartbeat tends to be found behind the shoulders however I know that on a CTG if it is hard to get the HB due to baby being low they can pick it up really well through the bum. Dont know why but it does lol. I usually end up holding hte thing for ages if the put it around bottom of my tummy so have it on the top sometimes where it stays put. xx

I had student mw in my mw appointment last week and when my usual mw was talking her through what to do with the doppler she was explaining that she should aim for between where they think the shoulders are. Not sure if that helps but guess if that's what they are aiming for it'd be how she could distinguish between bum and head?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->