Question about Progesterone

maltesemom

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

I haven't wanted to post yet, but I am freaking out a little bit. This is my first pregnancy so I am freaking out a lot but...I got my progesterone levels back and they were at 14.2. HCG 2188. I am at 5 weeks. Do you think this is on the low side? Should I advocate to get another blood test or supplements?

I am not sure I am loving my dr. right now...he's been somewhat dismissive. Would love to get your input. Thank you guys so much!!

I dont know anything about measuring progesterone this way.. They have me on supps. But did ome googling and it seems like anything between 9-47 is normal for first tri.. It continues to go up the further you get along

I hear that the target is 20. I know as of week 7 I was only at 17.2. By week 10 I was 26.7. My doctor is keeping me on progesterone till week 12 even though my numbers are good.

Your number sounds good but keep an eye on it to make sure it goes up.

Thank you guys! That's what my gut says but the dr. assured me that it was "perfect". I may go back to temping just to keep an eye on it between dr. visits. My next one isn't until the 23rd.

My progesterone was only tested once when I was 4 weeks along and it was 14.8. My doctor said it was within the normal range (and it was - anything over 9-10 in the first trimester is normal) and I've read that most women average 12-20 by week 5. So you're in the range. Your progesterone should keep rising by 1-3 points every couple of days anyway, but if you're worried, why not ask for a prescription for supplements. You can always ring the doctor's office and ask for it now, no need to wait for your next appointment. It's the first few weeks when you need the progesterone the most. After the placenta takes on hormone production around week 10, progesterone from the ovaries isn't needed anymore. Which is why most women supplement only during the 1st trimester and stop by week 12-13.

I was put on a low dose progesterone supplement (just 100mg./day) and I'm on it until I hit week 12, but that is more because it's standard practice at my OB's office (as in, 'giving it a small boost can't hurt' type of logic) than my levels being deemed low. Some doctors don't think there's a point in prescribing extra progesterone though, as any viable pregnancy should have a normal progesterone production anyway. But if you think it's a good idea to supplement just to be on the safe side, definitely call and ask for a prescription.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"