Question about Ultrasounds!!

ReynoldsV

Reaction score
Hey ladies! I had ultrasounds in the first couple appointments.

I had one at 21 weeks. I am now 28. When is it typical to get another one?? Or do you even need another?

Thanks in advance!!

I'm not sure where you are, (im using my mobile)but in the uk you usually only have 2 scans (12weeks and 20weeks) unless there's reason for concern...like something's wrong or to monitor baby closer or like high risk pregnancy..x

It really depends on your doctor. It seems like in the US people get more ultrasounds because doctors offices often have their own machine. Here you go to an imaging lab to get it done, if everything is going normally you only get one around 12 and 20 weeks.

Usually you only get one at 12 and one at 20 weeks . After that only reason ladies get them after is usually because they have complications

In a normal pregnancy you actually don't need any more then that

Things are going really well :) So I think my Ultrasounds are done. Which I am fine with! I know hes a boy, so everything else will be a surprise. Including who he looks like. We didn't get a good picture at our ultrasound, so it will be a surprise. My hubby and I are really different looking so he will be a unique mix. I am Mexican and my husband is American. We shall see!! Thanks ladies.

My OB usually does 12, 20 and around 31 or so as a growth scan and sometimes a followup at 35 weeks.

My OB, however, also scans me himself at every appointment but I see a high risk ob and have a high risk pregnancy.

Depends on your doctor, but generally the only medically necessary ultrasound is at 20 weeks - because it's the anatomy scan. I only had the one and don't expect to have any more. I didn't with my first pregnancy.

I'm in the US and had an ultrasound at 6, 10, 12, 17, 22, and 28 weeks and I have at least one more at 34 weeks. Seems a little excessive since my only issue was placenta previa, which fixed itself. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing my LO but the $35 copays are getting very expensive! Every Dr is different, I think mine is extra cautious!

I have had a lot of ultrasounds, but have had a lot of problems. I think it is normal for women who have normal pregnancies to just have 2-4 over the entire pregnancy. Usually a dating scan, perhaps one around 12 weeks if the dating scan was early on, a 20 week, a growth scan at around 28-30. That is what I've heard from the women in my baby class.
I've had 10 for different problems that keep coming up. :dohh:

You can always get a private ultrasound if you want momentos if your doctor doesn't see it necessary to scan you again.

In the states they usually give a growth scan around 35 or 36 weeks but some doctors choose not to do this. I had one at 36 weeks just to make sure the baby was growing along the same schedule as the outside measurements and also to make sure there aren't any other problems with fluids or the baby but it's not necessary

It's 12 & 20 weeks at my office. The other office in town only does one at 20 weeks. In my first pregnancy they did one at 36 weeks b/c I started measuring small & it was discovered I had low amniotic fluid. This pregnancy I'm measuring small again & because of my history I've had 3 or 4 since 20 weeks. If everything stays good for you, I'd say you were done (it does depend on the dr tho). Should something arise, which unfortunately happens fairly often towards the end of pregnancy, then the dr would order as necessary. I'm in the US.

I'm seeing a private obstetrician who has the machine in her office so I have been able to have a quick peek at every appointment as well as the 12 and 20 week scans at a proper imaging lab. She also did a growth scan at 29 weeks with another one planned for 35 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->