Question about Vday?!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by SnowWhite90, Nov 18, 2011.

1. SnowWhite90

SnowWhite90 Well-Known Member

Cant wait to hit Vday, its such a milestone on here!

Im just wondering, does anyone know the survival rate of a baby born at 24weeks gestation?! Id imagine the baby would be in intensive care for a long time, have to have injections to strengthen the lungs etc?!

Does anyone know any women who have delivered this early and who now have a happy healthy baby?!

2. AngelUK

AngelUK Mummy of twin boys

3. lalitas charm

lalitas charm Mummy to Bethan & Piplet

I dont know anyone with 24 week babies but a girl at work had her baby at 27 weeks and he is a happy and healthy 2year old!! I think it was tough at the start as mum was very sick and then obviously he was ill also but he is perfect now :)

4. Star7890

Star7890 New mummy

''Between 23 and 26 weeks gestation every day your baby stays in the womb it has an extra 3 percent chance of survival. By 26 weeks the odds go up to 80-90 percent''

5. SabrinaKat

SabrinaKat Delighted Mum to Finn

and doctors MUST treat baby from 24 wks if in an accident, born too early, etc...

best wishes

6. bananaz

bananaz Well-Known Member

What I've read is that 24 weeks is considered the limit of viability because that's when over 50% of babies survive. So the odds still aren't fantastic, but they are in baby's favor.