Question about working in nursery (anyone who is a police officer would be helpful)

mummylove

Reaction score
I am 29 years old and with my money being stooped i need to get a job. I am visually impaired i suffer with nystagmus and ocular albinisum. I dont have any qualifications but was going to go college to try get what i need. But.......The big problem is i got a conviction. I got this when i was 16 years old it is a serious one but its nothing to do with kids so i was told it wouldnt be a problem. But i dont want to go college just to waste my time and get told i cant cus of this. I have not been in trouble since so i have had a clean slate for 14 years. I was stupid back then and i made a big mistake. So i need to know if this would go against me if anyone wants to know what it was pm but only if u can give me useful information

Thanks in advance

If it helps my ex got into serious trouble multiple times as a young teen along with my husband (but hubby was smart enough to run faster then him so has no convictions) He has later gone on to be a policeman and they both are NCO for the sea scouts working with children so they did all the background checks and everything and he was ok to go on and work with kids.
I suppose it depends what it was and how bad really (his was mostly drunken behaviour and public disorder)

It really depends on what it was, but mainly when people ask about convictions, they are looking for you to be honest xx

I didnt go prison thank god cus of the situation i wasnt right in head at the time. Its hard to explain. I just dont want this getting in the way of me trying to make myself a better person and get a real jpb

I think it may be worth talking to your local community officers and see if it is something that could cause a problem, explain about what you want to do as a job and what the likelihood of it getting in the way before you go through training.

Could you not speak to the tutors at college? not sure the police will know

Also with a CRB check when it comes up at the end of the day it will be the employers discretion so one place may give you the benafit of time and another place may say no we wont employ you and would rather have someone with none.

I'm not sure if after 14 years it would even show on a CRB (now called DBS)

If it does and it involves violence the majority of employers will steer clear I should imagine.

If it's anything else (like drugs or theft) I'm sure there are many who will understand that you were just a kid when it happened and you could work something out.

I agree about being honest, you absolutely have to be.

I know i have to be honest and i would be. I just dont want to do the years at college and it turns out to be a waste of time.

I think I saw a post if yours ages ago saying what thus charge was and it shouldn't stop you working with children. I know a teacher at a school I used to work in with a serious charge who has been turned down by some schools but others have given the job. Basically you will need to declare it and some places will not hire you because of it but some
will. Best thing to do might be to ask around a couple places if you can go in for a days work experience and ask whoever does the hiring there if they would hire someone with a long ago charge. Also they might remember you when you're qualified and looking for a job. Hope this helps

As long as you disclose it you'll be fine. Plus it was a while ago and it's only the one! You'll be fine x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->