Question for Canadians - Maternity Leave Notice

jessmke

Reaction score
Hello fellow Canadians, question about maternity leave! I know that we are required to give 4 weeks notice to our employer about when we will be starting maternity leave. My question is, what happens if you give 4 weeks notice but then you just can't work up until the day you thought you could? I am a vet nurse at a very busy 24 hour animal hospital. I work 10 hour shifts, 4 days on 3 days off. I am only now coming up to 27 weeks, and I still feel good and am able to work a 10 hour shift no problem (although lately my back gets sore at the end of my four days, and hubby has been needing to give me lots of foot rubs!). I am hoping to start my maternity leave at 39 weeks, but what happens if I give my notice and then I am in too much pain or too uncomfortable to continue working that long? I am on my feet (or bum or knees!) for my entire shift, often wrestling with big dogs or angry cats, squishing myself into small spaces to do treatments on an animal without requiring the animal to move, etc. So it's a pretty physical job. If I can't work right up to my maternity leave date, do I have to take time off without pay until my maternity leave starts? On the flip side, if I come up to 39 weeks and still feel good, can I continue working right up to my due date even though I already gave notice that my leave would start? Thanks in advance for any advice!

It sort of depends on your employer. I have really good sick leave benefits, so while my last day was 37 weeks, I'm currently on extended sick leave (with pay) which won't impact my actual mat leave benefit from EI. That'll start the day baby is born (hoping for this weekend). If you have good medical coverage through work I suggest looking into this as I can almost guarantee you will not feel up to doing the physical parts of your job past about 34 weeks or so! (You may also be able to request modified or light duty; check with your employer.) you can apply for EI benefits anytime after 35 weeks I think, but bear in mind it will shorten the actual time you get home with your babe if you apply before delivery.

As far as the giving notice thing, basically give as much notice as you can but most employers understand that maternity notice comes with the caveat that every pregnancy is different. You might optimistically say you'll work till 39 weeks and then discover at 36 that you just can't. Employers are pretty cool most of the time. :)

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply! Things are further complicated because I don't have any health benefits with my employer since I am new to the clinic and will be on "probation" until I am 37 weeks! I am covered under my hubby's health insurance plan though, so I will see what they cover me for. I want to have as much time at home with the baby as possible, but I know there's a chance my body just won't be able to handle work as long as I would like!

Agree with pp!

My employer knows im intending to start mat leave on oct 4 which is my edd. But i have like two weeks vaca before that.. But of ourse babe could be born at any time, i ould go on sick leave or decide to start mat early and they are pretty flexible about it.

But you can go on medical EI for up to 12 weeks before you go on mat leave EI.. This could be give or take a few weeks, youd have to call to verify exact amount of weeks. Permitting that you have a doctor that will sign you off on medical EI. With that you'd still only get your 55% but again look into your work benefits as you might get further topped up from then. Ex my benefits tops me up to 70% on med ei (short term disability or extended sick leave) for upto 16 weeks.. Then they top me up to 70% for 16 weeks of mat leave. Going on the extend sick does not impact your 1 yr mat.. Your mat would automatically start the day babe is born and youd get the year.

Oh and im in ontario.. Not sure if it differs province to province.
Hope this made sense and helps?

This should help :)

https://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/es/pubs/guide/pregnancy.php

Thanks for the reply! Things are further complicated because I don't have any health benefits with my employer since I am new to the clinic and will be on "probation" until I am 37 weeks! I am covered under my hubby's health insurance plan though, so I will see what they cover me for. I want to have as much time at home with the baby as possible, but I know there's a chance my body just won't be able to handle work as long as I would like!

You wouldnt be entitled to a top up through his benefits. Only he would be if he took parental.
But as long as your dr would sign you off you are entitled to medical EI.. You would just only get the 55%

With my first pregnancy, I was on my feet for 10-12hrs/day, my hips and back hurt terribly. My doctor wrote me a "sick leave note" at 32 weeks since he didn't think it was best for me to keep working. I handed it to my employer and that was that, I was done work :shrug:
With the doctors sick note stating why I wasn't able to work, I was able to apply for sick leave benefits through ei which didn't affect my maternity / parental leave.
I wasn't expecting him to write me a note to completely stop working, but he did, which i was fine with cause it was torture to walk around.

That was just over 5 years ago, so not sure if things have changed ?
Like mentioned above, check your health insurance plan policy too.

Good luck!

Thanks guys, this helps a lot! It looks like my best bet would be getting a note from my doctor and applying for sick leave through EI. At least that's something in case I am not able tow work as long as I'd like.

When I told my doctor what the physical demands of my job were he wrote me off immediately. Good luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->