Question for those who had big stomach's before getting preg

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by inperfected, Jan 26, 2011.

1. inperfected

inperfected Mum to a 29 weeker

Hey guys :) Just popping over from first trimester...

For your girls/ladies who had big tummy's to begin with, when did you start noticing your tummy getting larger? Was it earlier or later than most (or what sort of week)?

I am just wondering as I may have to sort some maternity clothes NOW (I have my uni teaching practice for early childhood coming up at 13-18 weeks), but already have a 6 month size bump (or more like my best friends 8 month bump) before I even got pregnant (unfortunately 40 inch waist and only 5'1 tall before I started, but the rest of me (except bust) is tiny - Stupid PCOS!)

If anyone could help it'd be amazing!

2. Gonnabeamomma

Gonnabeamomma Mum to a Super Lil' Girl!

I started noticing (well other people commented) at about 17 weeks but I am still in my regular clothes... (ha, ha skinny ladies who have been spending money on maternity clothes! :haha:) Even now (week 28) my pants are getting a bit snug, skirts are too but I'm not worried about it as I still have some loose blouses and I've barely gained anything with my pregnancy. It's been quite wonderful, actually. But I think others will have a different response since we're all unique! Congratulations and enjoy your pregnancy... it goes by super fast!

3. Mum2#1

Mum2#1 Well-Known Member

I'm a size 18 & for me it was 18-20 weeks :)

4. jenfen

jenfen Well-Known Member

i'm a uk 18, i was starting to need maternity clothes at 17 ish weeks but i was quite bloated. My bump came properly at about 24 weeks. Jx

5. madcatwoman

madcatwoman Well-Known Member

hiya
    im just a size12-14, but all my life my stomach has been out proportion and bigger (never made sense to me), so i wondered this too.
    You do get a bloat quite early on, but i fist noticed a proper bump forming at about 16 weeks or so, 17-18 weeks i decided to wear mat jeans, and 20+weeks started looking for tops etc.

6. Flipsy

Flipsy Guest

I started noticing about 20 ish weeks as well and am still in my normal clothes .. apart from having bougth three pairs of stretchy leggings which are amazing. so I say wait until you need to buy before worrying about it.

xx

7. RiRi

RiRi Mummy to a Princess

it was about 17ish week when i started popping. I was a uk size 22 pre pregnancy

8. crazyguider

crazyguider Well-Known Member

I was a 14-16 pre preg
    I had a bloat from week 5 and u could tell
    I had a bump from 12 weeks
    I seem to have lost weight everywhere and my bump
    is now very up front and football like

9. Skibunny

Skibunny Active Member

Hiya - I'm a size 12 / 14 with a big tum. People started to gossip about me when I was 11-12 weeks pregnant but luckily I had thought ahead and bought loose tops which I wore until 24 weeks. I went shopping for a wedding when I was 11 weeks and ended up in tears as nothing fitted and mat clothes made me look pregnant (I didn't want to tell anyone until after the scan). I can't remember when I bought actual maternity clothes but relied on button extenders for a long time. When I bought my first pair of mat jeans I didn't know why I waited so long - they were bliss! Good luck and embrace the changes! xx

10. beccybobeccy

beccybobeccy Well-Known Member

I was a 16-18 pre pregnancy. I carried all my weight out front before (and now lol) so already looked preggo! I guess it really popped into a bump-bump at about 19/20 weeks.

For Mat clothes It really depended on which clothes though. Jeans and Trousers I needed from 16 odd weeks I think but tops I was able to get away with until almost 29/30 weeks.

Just get what you need when you feel you need it. I think thats the only thing I can suggest. Its not just about size either. Its the comfort thing. xx

11. HippieJess

HippieJess Mom to 1 sweet girl

I was a US 18-20 pre pregnancy and I bought maternity pants around 12 weeks. I could have just gone up a pants size but opted for maternity pants instead. I didn't need tops until 24 weeks or so but all my pre pregnancy tops are pretty baggy.

12. 323laura

323laura Well-Known Member

i was a size 26/28 before getting pregnant and ive had to get size 30/32 legging from about 16 weeks. but thats it (top half has stayed the same) i dont look pregnant, just look fatter. Doesnt help that i have 2 tummys, and i had hoped they'd merge, but the top one just sticks out further lol :(

13. allyk

allyk Mummy to DD, Preg with #2

hey,

i was 16-18 pre preg with 90% of my weight around my stomach!! i seem to recall that my normal jeans/work trousers were getting tight at around 12 -14 weeks so i bought few cheap maternity trousers and jeans off ebay... i bought new maternity clothes at around 16-18 weeks as i wasnt sure what size i would have to buy (this is my 1st preg) am still wearing them now.. have bought maternity tops but find that its just as good to buy longer stretchy top from matalan for £4 each BARGAIN!!

personally i would say that you only need 2 or 3 pairs of maternity trousers (i have jeans, work trousers and combats) along with a couple of maternity tops and normal tops.. i refuse to pay £50-£60 for maternity clothes that you are only going to wear for maximum of 6 months.. all of mine i havebought out of matalan or ebay..

best of luk

14. inperfected

Thanks heaps everyone! You don't know how much help you've been!

I've already grabbed a couple of bits off a cheap secondhand site (i.e. local pickup and only US$0.75 a piece) here as for instance I only have 3 tops that fit me now as I'm for one so bloated, but already struggled not using maternity tops before I was pregnant (They hadn't been long enough if they were small enough in the shoulders and arms - and I wear semi to fitting tops usually)... I think as soon as 12 weeks hits I'll get one pair maternity pants at least (trying to hide it before then!!) as I already have to rely on the "button extenders) to make all my jeans fit!

15. Hunnybear

Hunnybear Pregnant - 1st Time

My husband says it's been noticable for a long while but people really started noticing at about 26 weeks. Now at 34 it is very obvious! Despite this, I am still in regular clothes and don't think I will buy any maternity wear which is sweet. That being said, I'm still 16lbs under my pre-pregnancy weight and have only gained 1lbs in the last 10 weeks (10lbs in total)...but apparently it is ALL baby because at my scan on Saturday it was estimated that he is albs already!!!

So I guess my experience is really not "usual" or helpful....kinda atypical.

16. inperfected

To be honest, really helpful, as it's good to know the different experiences :) No morning sickness so far for me (at 8 weeks) so hoping to get through 1st tri with minimal gain.

Thanks so much everyone!

17. Tadan

Tadan Well-Known Member

My family and people that know have said I looked pregnant from about 20 weeks.. I didnt see it myself up until the past few weeks, still not convinced lol. I am a weird size I have clothes from size 14-20. I had to buy maternity trousers for work at 12 weeks because I was so bloated mine didnt fit, but they didnt fit either, they're still too big but the bump band helps! Other than those work trousers I'm still in my normal clothes =) although I was treated at Xmas to 2x maternity jeans and 3x maternity tops.