Question on behalf of a friend (threatened miscarriage)

sil

Reaction score
Hi ladies, hope everyone is doing well and having a great start to their happy and healthy 9 months! I am hopping over from the 2nd trimester boards to ask a quick question.

My friend got a positive pregnancy test, but they were not sure how far along she was. Her HCG was around 50,000 when they took it so they sent her for an ultrasound. At first they were unable to find any pregnancy so they worried about ectopic, but another doctor took a look and was able to see a very small gestational sack in the uterus and no baby inside.

The next day her HCG was about 70,000. The doctors told her she is waiting to miscarry and they will do a follow up ultrasound in a week to see if she needs D and C.

I was wondering if there is any chance that she is just too early and the baby will still develop, or if by 50,000-70,000 the baby would 100% be there? Why are her numbers still rising so much daily if she is going to lose the baby?

Thanks for any insight :flower:

That depends on how early she is. If she is 5-6 weeks then seeing a small sac is totally normal (even if you can't see baby inside since its so early that is normal too). An HCG level of 70,000 is really high for 5-6 weeks pregnant though. Not impossible, just on the really high end. The reason the doctor is saying she is "waiting to mc" is because the body needs time to catch up to what has or hasn't happened. Meaning, your body can think its pregnant still even though there is no baby or it has passed away.

Good luck to your friend! I hope the doctor is wrong and she goes on to have a very happy and healthy pregnancy!

Thanks for the help! She's not sure how far she is. The doctor said with an hcg level of 70,000 there should be more than a sack which is why they are predicting miscarriage but it just seems so final to me when she's not sure of her dates.

In situations like this I would say prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Doctor's are humans like anyone else and they can make mistakes too. I hope your friend does not have a miscarriage and that everything will end up turning out great for her! It does seem a bit premature to start throwing miscarriage at her but they probably just want to make sure she is prepared for what could happen.

I don't really know how it all works really but it ain't over till the fat lady sings..... Tell her to stay positive, sometimes they are wrong!

I would say since the HCG is increasing that she definitely needs to wait and see what happens. Give it a week or two and see if she starts to miscarry naturally. If not, go back in, get scanned and see what is going on. It is possible she could be carrying for then one baby in the tiny gestational sac (they are called mono/mono twins when they share a sac), which could be causing the high HCG numbers and she could still only by 5 weeks along and it be too early to see much.

I agree that it could depend on how far along she is. They probably should see something by then, but if you google misdiagnosed miscarriage, there a several people who had hcg levels 50,000+ where the ultrasound showed an empty sac. Anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, there was a baby at the next ultrasound.

I would say it really depends on how far along she is though. If she's earlier, it could still be just too early.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"