Question on Progesterone and B6 Vitamin

Ortegapg1

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I have started to notice that I have a slow rising bbt after ovulation. After reading different sources, I have seen that it may mean that you have low progesterone. I have looked at ways that I may be able to increase progesterone. Taking B6 vitamins is something I came across.

However, I am also reading that B6 vitamins help lengthen your luteal phase. I don't believe I have a problem with my LP, it is usually 13 days even if I ovulate late.

Is B6 then a supplement I should take? I know I shouldn't believe everything I read on the internet..but I just wanted to make sure :). I don't see my doctor for a couple more months.

Thanks!

My understanding is that B6 strengthens the follicle as it's developing and growing, so that after ovulation the corpus luteum (what's left behind of the follicle after O) is strong. Since it's the corupus luteum that is producing the progesterone, having a stronger one is supposed to result in higher progesterone. It can lengthen your luteal phase by increasing progesterone for those that have a LPD. But as a word of caution.. as long as your temps are confirming O, many people believe that post O temps tell you absolutely nothing about your hormone levels. You can have a picture perfect chart and still have low progesterone, or an ugly chart and have perfect levels. The best way to check is with a 7dpo blood test.

If you'd like to try taking it, you can always start with a lower dose just in case. You may also want to consider taking a B complex vitamin instead of just B6 on it's own, because it will keep all the vitamins in their proper proportions and prevent you getting a deficiency in one or more of the other B vitamins. Often times 100mg of B6 is recommended for a luteal phase defect, so you may want to start with a B50 complex (50mg). Just as an example, I have tried taking a B50 complex and it lengthened my luteal phase one day (12 to 13). But it can affect everyone differently. I hope that helps and good luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->