Question re Sleeping Through

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by fi123, Jan 26, 2011.

1. fi123

fi123 Well-Known Member

My mother is annoying me, she cannot understand how my 6 month old wakes up during the night. He sometimes wakes only once or twice or on occasions more. All he needs is a bit of reasurance or his dummy and he is back over. She seems to think he should go to bed and not wake until morning. I have told her I think this is impossible we all wake during the night so babies will be the same. Am I correct?

God knows what she fed us if we slept for 12 hours without a peep!

2. anna matronic

anna matronic Mummy to Evan :-)

I reckon our parents drugged us to sleep lol :haha:

My mum is gonn get a shock this weekend when we stay with her and Evan wakes up at least twice.

"He's 3 months surely he should be sleeping through?"

"Yeah, well he's not so do one!!"

3. special_kala

special_kala love my bugs

I think the same as you. River sleep through 99.% of the time and has done since about 6/7 months but sometimes she wakes up at night but then i think so do i why would a baby be any different.

I think older people have odd idea about babies sleeping through as they did things we dont do now

babys used to sleep on their fronts which is proven to make them sleep better
    gripe water had booze in it
    giving rice/cereal in bottles was common
    porridge before bed

4. aliss

aliss Well-Known Member

Of course. EVERYONE wakes up several times a night, most adults 'self-settle' without realizing it. After all, how do we turn around in positions?

Mine doesn't understand why mine wakes in the night either. After all, don't ya just give them a bottle, lay them down, and shut the door for 12 hours?

5. special_kala

Also i think CC and CIO it out were more common not all that long ago

6. aliss

aliss Well-Known Member

And formula was just thick as mud in the 60's- 80's.

7. special_kala

I honestly think the view alot (not all parents) had towards babies has made massive contributions to the anxiety and self esteem issues that are everyone now days.

That bloke in the 50's who said not to hold your baby and to put it on a strict 4 hour feeding schedule has alot to answer for.

8. Windmills

Windmills Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think CIO was just the done thing. I think it's only fairly recently that attitudes have started to change!

9. special_kala

10. aliss

aliss Well-Known Member

I accidentally did CIO last week (monitor died out in the night) and oh my god... he lost his voice, didn't look at me or smile for the entire day. It was HORRIBLE. I understand some girls do this for other reasons, but mine wakes up only once for hunger now and it scares me to think what would happen to a young young baby subjected to that on a regular basis.

It's one thing for a 12 month old that continues to wake every hour for boob association, but to leave a young one to it? Ughhhhhh. That was me, apparently. But my mom said she had PND (I'm sure from unrealistic expectations as I was very colicky) so that I can understand...

11. special_kala

I read a attached parenting book by dr sears, its very interesting in terms of his experience of young babies left to cio.

12. Mum2b_Claire

Mum2b_Claire Mummy to Ruby & Scarlett!

My 20 month old is the same as your 6 month old, she 'wakes', cries, needs brief reassurance and she goes back off. This happens once most nights although it is fairly predictably between 11 and 12. They go in and out of sleep cycles just like us. :)

13. Seity

Seity Mom to Gabriel and Samuel

Gabriel woke many times a night (usually every 2 hours) until he was 10 months old. That was perfectly normal for him. Suddenly he's decided to start sleeping through on occasion. Nothings changed. We don't do a routine, I've never taught him to self settle, or done any kind of sleep training. Before, he needed me for cuddles or food, etc, now he doesn't on some nights.
    I find it a bit odd that people expect babies to sleep through so young. Some will naturally and those lucky parents should count their blessings. I feel very lucky that he's decided to sleep better so soon. I thought it might take 2-3 years before his sleep improved to this point.

14. mystika802

mystika802 Well-Known Member

My first slept through...12 hours a night at 6 weeks old, but Charlie still wakes up a few times a night, every baby is different and like already said....things have changed so much! My mother in law tries to tell my husband that he should be sleeping through I think to make me look bad!

15. Sugarmuppet

Sugarmuppet Well-Known Member

We are the opposite. I didn't sleep through until I was 2 and a bit!! Mum is jealous that I got a good sleeper and thinks there must be something wrong that I can bottle, bed, shut the door, see you in 14 hours every night with Gaby! Don't think she even believed me until Gaby started spending the night at her house occasionally.