Question

Rymel12

Reaction score
Hi ladies,
I have a question for you: I just found out a few days ago that I'm pregnant and once I called my Dr (who delivered my daughter and who i trust 100%) and he doesn't do any testing before six weeks unless there's a problem. With my daughters pregnancy, I had a different Dr to start and he sent me for blood work like the day I found out. This ended up being very stressful as I had low progesterone which eventually straightened itself out. If I had started at six weeks, the levels woulda been normal anyways. Is it normal to not test hormone levels this early? I welcome to not have the stress of it like last time this early on, but I'm curious what others have experienced.

My doctor won't even see me till 8 weeks! Lol so yeah blood testing early is usually reserved for people with fertility issues

I was under the impression they were going to have me come in right away for some kind of testing. My first appointment isn't until mid 6 weeks.

In the UK you dont get bloods unless you have had reccuring losses and/or fertility issues. And even then some doctors won't agree to them. If your having a normal low risk pregnancy in some clinics you don't see a midwife till 10-12 weeks for booking in.

Well this is a relief to hear that it seems normal for later testing. I wonder if my old Dr did that because he didn't deliver babies and didn't handle the pregnancy the same as a regular OBGYN would. I love how my Dr now is so low key, but still concerned for his patients if they are concerned. My hubby and I have been talking about moving out of state but I said absolutely not until I have my last baby with this doctor cause he's amazing. 😀

My doctor won't even see me till 8 weeks! Lol so yeah blood testing early is usually reserved for people with fertility issues

Yes what she said, my doctors wouldn't even set up an appointment until I was 8 weeks

I am using the same doctor for this baby that I did with my first - she saw me for blood work at 6 weeks but wouldn't see me until 8 weeks for the ultrasound. For this one she wanted to see me at 6 weeks for blood work and ultrasound. :wacko:

It seems they all just kind of do their own thing and change their protocol in 2 years time. Haha

At my doctor's office the blood test is optional if you're not high risk. They also don't measure progesterone unless you're high risk. The first appointment/first ultrasound isn't done until 7-10 weeks. They also don't do any pregnancy dating until 12 weeks because there's too much room for error.

In all honestly doing the blood test caused me a tremendous amount of stress. I O'ed late and based on their calculations my hCG was very low. I received a phone call and the nurse asked me if I was bleeding yet. Second hCG straightened it out but it was a very difficult wait. I had to race to the hospital to get a blood draw before leaving on a work trip and hunt down the nurse five minutes before office closed for results...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->