Question

Discussion in 'Teen Pregnancy' started by Chrissy7411, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Chrissy7411

Chrissy7411 Guest

So I'm 36 weeks today and my next appointment is Friday. I was just wondering is it odd that my Dr. hasn't given me an estimated weight for my LO? I see so many women talking about the weight of there LO and all my Dr. ever says is "he's growing nice and healthy" I'm not concerned, just curious I guess. :shrug:

2. kittycat18

kittycat18 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure sweetheart, I suppose it must vary from Hospital to Hospital. I was given a Customised Growth Chart based on my weight, BMI, height, age etc and my baby was estimated to be 8lbs 9ozs. Every time I see my Community Midwife she plots my growth chart and I am measuring exactly for this weight. BUT when I have scans, my consultant takes a measurement from the scan based on the size of babys body and their head and the computer provides her with my exact gestational weeks and the babys weight at that time. At my 29 week check-up scan baby was weighing 2lb 3ozs and at my 34+2 week growth scan, baby was weighing 5lbs!! :happydance: I don't have another Hospital appointment until 40 weeks though and only Community midwife appointments (she will tell me how growth is developing). xx

3. mummymarsh

mummymarsh NTNP with earth baby #2

not sure for where yo are, but in england they dont tend to give estimates weights unless there is a medical reason because they are not very good predictions... x

4. kittycat18

Chrissy is in Texas and I am in Northern Ireland :kiss:

5. Chrissy7411

Chrissy7411 Guest

I haven't had a scan since my 20 week one :dohh: I'm just so curious as too how big he is! He feels massive lol. My appointments are so fast... I just get my cervix checked now and bump measured. I guess at my next appointment (Friday) I will ask about this, because I really hope LO isn't going to be too big :wacko:

6. kittycat18

Maybe that's just routine in Texas? :shrug:

I had my dating scan at 11+2 weeks, anomaly scan at 20+1 weeks, check-up/development scan at 29+2 weeks and growth scan at 34+2 weeks. They are the only times I have Hospital appointments though because I have to go see a Community Midwife at my Doctors surgery and she checks my blood pressure, check my urine, measures my bump and listens to my babys heartbeart to make sure everything is ok! :thumbup: I have to see her again at 36+4 weeks and at 38+4 weeks to make sure everything is ok with me and my LO! I think it's pretty stupid that my next Hospital appointment is 2 days after my due date!! xx

7. Chrissy7411

Chrissy7411 Guest

Yeah, maybe!

Thats really different from here lol. I had my scans at 11.4 weeks, 12.2 weeks (don't know why) and 19.4 weeks. First I saw my Dr. every 4 weeks then 3 (starting at just about 28 weeks), 2 (starting at just about 34 weeks) and now I just started seeing her every week (starting at just about 36 weeks). My appointments are on Fridays and I'm a new week on Mondays just FYI.

Now they check my cervix, measure my belly and LO's heartbeat :flow:

8. kittycat18

That is really different from here! I had my Hospital appointments, a few midwife appointments and went to my Doctor when anything was wrong or I wasn't feeling well :shrug: I am a new week on Mondays as-well sweetheart!

That's really different to over here. They don't check my cervix or do anything internally until your in labour or until your 40 week appointment where they check how dilated you are! xx

9. Bexxx

Bexxx Momface.

I don't get an estimated weight or anything, my MW measures my tummy but that's it :shrug:

There's a space in my notes for her to do a growth chart, but she hasn't bothered!

10. keljt1127

keljt1127 Well-Known Member

i dont think so.. i had to ask how much she thought and her estimate was very vague! ugh

11. kittycat18

My midwife stopped plotting my growth chart but she does measure my bump and tell me how big I am. It's only the consultant who gets an estimated weight after scanning the baby :kiss: x

12. we can't wait

we can't wait Mom of 4

Hey. My appointments are a lot like yours. I go in, they get my weight and blood pressure. I lay down, they measure my tummy & find LO's heartbeart. They check my cervix-- and then I leave. Literally, that is every appointment now.
    At my 20 week scan they didn't give me an estimate of how big she was :/ I had to go to a perinatologist to check the baby's heart (everything was fine!) at 29 weeks and they told me she was almost 3lbs. & when I went into the hospital for pre-eclampsia at 32 weeks I had another scan done and the lady told me she was 4lbs. So, I'm thinking they could give you a rough estimate of what an average baby would be around your week, but without a scan they really can't give you an estimation based on your baby. Although, the scans aren't very reliable either. They had told my sister that her baby was going to be too big for the birth canal most likey, and my niece was 6lbs6oz -- pretty small!
    I don't think it's odd that you haven't been given an estimate. Most doctors really don't rely on them anyways. When your doctor says that the baby is growing nicely, he is probably referring to the fact that your uterus is growing on track. :thumbup:
    Good luck! :flow: