Questions about hubby's sperm test

yourstruly10

Reaction score
Hey ladies. OH got the paper work for his sperm test today. He goes in tomorrow at noon. The doctor didnt really explain anything to us though.

What is it checking for

What's good?
What's bad?

How long should he wait between sex and the test? Should we avoid sex tonight? It's will have been over 48 hours between sex and test if we don't tonight.

Well answered that last question on my own :) looks like 3 day is actually the best amount of time to wait between ejaculations for a spern test.

Any info would be great :)

Hi my DH has his SA on 25th of this month.

Our paperwork says "intercourse (or masturbation) should be avoided for at least 3 days before the collection of your sample"

"The sample must be produced by masturbation (manual stimulation) directly into a wide necked pre weighed non toxic container, which can be obtained from the laboratory (a rubber condom must not be used as these contain spermicide which kills sperm)"

"it is important that the entire sample is collected as this will affect the outcome of the results"

"The sample should be brought to the laboratory as soon as possible (for semen analysis the sample should arrive at the laboratory within 1 hour of production)

"The sample MUST be kept warm ie next to your skin. (inside pocket, coat pocket or handbags etc are NOT suitable" excessive heat or cold can affect sperm survival"

Luckily DH is producing his sample in the hospital :haha: :blush:

Tests that may be done during a semen analysis include:

Volume. This is a measure of how much semen is present in one ejaculation.
Liquefaction time. Semen is a thick gel at the time of ejaculation and normally becomes liquid within 20 minutes after ejaculation. Liquefaction time is a measure of the time it takes for the semen to liquefy.
Sperm count. This is a count of the number of sperm present per milliliter (mL) of semen in one ejaculation.
Sperm morphology. This is a measure of the percentage of sperm that have a normal shape.
Sperm motility. This is a measure of the percentage of sperm that can move forward normally. The number of sperm that show normal forward movement in a certain amount of semen can also be measured (motile density).
pH. This is a measure of the acidity (low pH) or alkalinity (high pH) of the semen.
White blood cell count. White blood cells are not normally present in semen.
Fructose level. This is a measure of the amount of a sugar called fructose in the semen. The fructose provides energy for the sperm.

Thanks so much galaxy girl :)

Oh is also doing his right at the hospital. All that information was awesome. I really appreciate it :)
Ill keep my fingers crossed your DH's test goes well.

Your welcome :hugs:

I hate all this waiting! We have a waiting list for SA at our local fertility clinic so have had to wait a couple of months for DHs appointment then it's another week for the results :dohh:

I hope your OHs results come back good :)

Have you had blood tests done?
x

I haven't had any tests done yet. My doctor wants me to wait a few more months. OH's doctor didn't mind doing his test right away though. At least we will have some answers. OH got in quick here. Just went to his normal doctor today and asked for the test. Hospital is going to do it tomorrow but I'm not sure how long it will take to get back.

Hopefully not long.

I never had problems with my first two but they are from my ex husband so who knows. It could still be me though. So we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->