Quick ques re: Bank holidays

jenny82

Reaction score
I have been off sick for 2 weeks there and am going to go back in on Monday.

I'm going to ring my boss on Friday and tell her I'm coming in. However, just found out this morning that the office is shut because its a bank holiday. I have a sneaky feeling that she will make me go in on Monday and work on my own, even though the office is shut.

Can they do this?

Have also discovered that one of my MDs has been discussing my wages/unhappiness I expressed with my wages with the other MD, who is telling other members of staff!!!! I'm disgusted with the place... and they wonder why I'm so stressed.

Depends what your contract says?

Don't bank holidays get taken off your leave entitlement? They do at our work, and our office is shut between xmas and new year and we have to save leave for then too.
I guess if I really wanted to come in and work on my own I could do but they would never make me!
I would make a complaint in writing about your wage situation being discussed with other members of staff. The other MD fine, but not other members of staff. That's not on.

I've just had another thought - I am sure it is against health and safety laws to work on your own?

Hmmm theres nothing much mentioned about it in my contract. Just that we get such n such bank holidays, inc the one this coming Monday.

If they say that I should come in as I've been off the last 2 weeks, can I say that it states in my contract that I have this MOnday off?

I just don't fancy being there on my own all day :/

I don't know if I can even mention the wage thing, as she said it to another member of staff, who told me about it. I wouldn't want to get my friend in trouble, know what I mean?

Doesn't matter if you've been off sick. If you had a note to cover the time you've been off you haven't done anything wrong. If no one else has to work on the BH then you don't either. If they make you come in then they are penalising you for being ill and treating you differently from every other employee which is against the law.

it's against health and safety to work alone, do u work in an office? i had to work today to cover sickness for a girl as the other one could not work alone. also if u normally get bh's off then it's prob in ur contract that you dont work them. have a check xx

Possibly off topic but...

If you have a sick note which goes over a bank holiday - you still keep that days holiday entitlement, ie it's not used up/deducted from your annual leave :D

It was grand in the end - I didn't have to go in :)

I was just checking in case they pulled a fast one, which they didn't...surprisingly!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->