Quick Question .. down syndrome

jelix9408

Mommy to Willow <3
Reaction score
ok so my boyfriends family tells me that dog and cat hair can cause the baby to have down syndrome .. supposidly my boyfriends sisters doctor told her that .. i dont really believe it ive NEVER heard of it before. i have a cat and a dog ... the dog sleeps in the bed with me and my boyfriend everynight. i know about not being able to take out the kitty litter. but has anyone else ever heard of that before? because i think its kind of stupid because down syndrome is caused by the chromosomes messing up or during formation of the reproductive cells, the ovum or sperm. i know alot about it because i have an aunt with down syndrome and even if my baby were to have it i would love it regardless i have nothing agiansnt people with down syndrome im very close to my aunt .. but ive never heard of animal hair causeing your baby to have down syndrome...

I would just ignore them or ask them to produce the medical research papers to substantiate their claims ;)

LOL yeah im going to ask the doctor when i go. but just wanted everyone else's opinion

They are mad. How can a dog hair affect the chromosones in someones egg or sperm??
You sound like you should be giving them some education:happydance:

never heard of that, if that was true I think it would be national knowledge! x

This has to be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. Down Syndrome is a chromosomal disorder and has NOTHING to do with dog or cat hair! Sorry to say so but your boyfriend's family should be embarrassed for even thinking such a thing. Truly absurd! :rofl:

Also I would save yourself the embarrassment and when/if you ask your doctor (I don't think it's necessary but if you do) make sure you say it's someone else who thought that!

That sounds very bizarre! Downs is caused by having 3 of chromosome 21 instead of 2, so i would think that it would have absolutely nothing to do with cat or dog hair! Sounds too ridiculous to be true!

how silly of them to worry you over something so absurd!!!

Have a lovely snooze with your dog xx

thanks girls! and i know its crazy! thats why im askign for others opinions .. i know alot about down syndrome but they insist the baby will get it because i sleep with my dog .. its just super crazy! i dont know what doctor they had but he needs to learn some stuff about down syndrome.

How funny... you should just tell them even if that were true they baby would already have it as it happens at or just after conception anyways!

thats the most ridiculous thing I have heard in years!
x

What a random thing to say! No way that's true. Can't quite remember how it's caused but it's something to do with chromosomes and dna and stuff.

At 11 weeks they would be able to tell if the baby had it or not, and it's not like a cold, you can't catch it later on.

Funny what some people believe though isn't it? Anyone else think of any random old wives tales about pregnancy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->