Quilting

luz

Reaction score
Is anyone in here a quilter? I started piecing quilts about 2 years ago and since then have fallen in love with it! The only problem is i never quite get past making the tops. My mom has a long arm quilting machine in her basement that i could use to finish them, but i'm so nervous about it or.... something.

If anyone wants to share some of their quilts, i'd love to see them! I'll post some pictures of mine when i get home to a proper computer :)

Pictures would be great! I really would love to learn to quilt.

Here we go!! Finally got around to remembering to post pictures but unfortunately i can only get one to load right now. I'll try to put up the other ones later, here's a wall hanging i made for my husbands sister when she got married.

IMG_2256.jpg

thank you! Quilting really is easy, you should buy a simple pattern and try it sometime!

I need a sewing machine. I had put one on my wedding registry but no one bought it, darn.

darn! I bought a nice bernina a few years back with my tax return, best 1300 i ever spent :)

not sure if its the right kind of thing? lol but I made a Memory Quilt for my friend out of her little boys clothes..

https://hphotos-ash4.fbcdn.net/219599_10150599922020494_542395493_18666032_1375907_o.jpg

At first I thought this is what you meant, but then seen your picture I'm not too sure lol

But either way yours is very lovely!

That's awesome! My husband wants me to make a quilt like that out of all his old tshirts but I have no clue how to do it!

My husband has forbidden me to take up quilting after most of the house got covered by my knitting projects...:blush:
But my mother is a great seamstress and sort of a novice quilter. She's made some lovely things for the boys.
Several of her friends are incredible quilt artists and I feel very lucky to have a few baby quilts and an absolutely stunning wedding quilt from these masters!
If I ever get a bit more space, I am going to buy a sewing machine. Good to hear your review on the Bernina. That brand gets glowing reviews on every crafters' site I've come across!
And sweet quilt piece, by the way!

My husband has forbidden me to take up quilting after most of the house got covered by my knitting projects...:blush:
But my mother is a great seamstress and sort of a novice quilter. She's made some lovely things for the boys.
Several of her friends are incredible quilt artists and I feel very lucky to have a few baby quilts and an absolutely stunning wedding quilt from these masters!
If I ever get a bit more space, I am going to buy a sewing machine. Good to hear your review on the Bernina. That brand gets glowing reviews on every crafters' site I've come across!
And sweet quilt piece, by the way!

My husband told me to find a hobby so i took up quilting. Now he regrets telling me to find a hobby because quilting is quite expensive and i find myself spending lots and not finishing much. :haha: My sewing room is starting to pile up with quilt projects that need to be started.

And the bernina is absolutely wonderful!! I bought the activa 240 and just love love love it! Yes it was expensive, but it will last me forever! My mom still has her bernina that she bought over 30 years ago and it still is working just perfectly. I would never buy another brand.

I have been quilting for a while, I joined a quilting guild in my area and have learned most of what I know from these ladies.

Here are two more quilts that I've made during this pregnancy. Cant wait for my baby to get to use them!
Screen Shot 2011-10-07 at 4.58.39 PM.jpg
226050_10100132099179159_17829478_43566814_866836_n.jpg

I'm a quilter! I started out making things for my dog and then for my friends' babies, and now I'm finally going to get to quilt something for my own baby! :)

I'm pretty good about forcing myself to finish projects before I get too many lined up. Actually quilting doesn't bug me nearly as much as binding! I hate binding! I think I might make my next one a knife-edge or taggy quilt so I don't have to bind it at all!

Also, this summer I started tying a couple of really old quilt tops--so easy compared to stitching them! Of course, they still need binding. Blecch!

I'm a quilter! I started out making things for my dog and then for my friends' babies, and now I'm finally going to get to quilt something for my own baby! :)

I'm pretty good about forcing myself to finish projects before I get too many lined up. Actually quilting doesn't bug me nearly as much as binding! I hate binding! I think I might make my next one a knife-edge or taggy quilt so I don't have to bind it at all!

Also, this summer I started tying a couple of really old quilt tops--so easy compared to stitching them! Of course, they still need binding. Blecch!

I know what you mean!! I have a quilt sitting just waiting to be bound. The binding is even all sewed on, I just need to stitch it down. Ugh. I actually just bought a few tools that really help make binding quilts a lot easier, one cuts perfect bias binding and the other makes a nice seam so you can't tell where it starts or stops, but the part I hate is sewing it all down by hand. So annoying!

I'm real good at piecing the tops and not so good about actually finishing my projects. Although my mom did buy a Long arm quilting machine that's really fun to use, I just have to make time to actually quilt them!

I've never sewn binding on by hand! Is that terrible? I should actually try, because one of the worst things is trying to get it to sit right. Is it durable enough for kids if it's handsewn?

I have a long bias tape ruler and I use the continuous bias tape method to make it (although I can never get the measurements right on the end. That has made it a lot more fun, since I can make my own and not rely on the boring prepackaged binding. I also have a Simplicity bias tape machine but it doesn't seem to save me much time!

I've never sewn binding on by hand! Is that terrible? I should actually try, because one of the worst things is trying to get it to sit right. Is it durable enough for kids if it's handsewn?

I have a long bias tape ruler and I use the continuous bias tape method to make it (although I can never get the measurements right on the end. That has made it a lot more fun, since I can make my own and not rely on the boring prepackaged binding. I also have a Simplicity bias tape machine but it doesn't seem to save me much time!

None of my quilts have been kid-tested, but my mom has made quite a few with hand sewn binding that she's given to her grand kids and they've lasted. I think the key is to just make sure your stitches are small and not too wide. The two rulers i have are the simple-ez bias binding ruler and "the binding tool"

If you have a hard time getting your binding to match up at the end i'd recommend getting the binding tool. it's amazing! Here are the links for where i found them online, if you go watch the youtube videos on the bottom of the page you can see how they work..... it's actually made finishing quilts so much less daunting for me!
https://www.missouriquiltco.com/the-binding-tool-by-tqm-products-inc.html

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/simpli-ez-bias-ruler-by-susan-brown-for-simplicity-studio.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->