Quitting Smoking

G

greenchelonia

I am so weak. This was an unplanned and unexpected pregnancy. Now I'm working on quitting smoking, but it is so hard. No matter how motivated I am, I keep struggling with it. I got down to four cigs a day. Then I went cold turkey for a day and that seemed to kick the smoking into overdrive. I feel awful every time I smoke, but I can't seem to find a method that works for me. I think I'm going back to tapering method. Any suggestions? Please no horrible comments about how bad it is or I am. I already know all of that. I have a quit coach.. Not really helping. I have generalized anxiety disorder, and I told my doctor that I am afraid of quitting all of the way. I'm worried about the extra stress on the baby. He said it's never good to smoke but cutting back is better than nothing. Fear tactics don't work either. I am really frustrated with myself and feeling so bad about it. Any advice, quitting tactics, or helpful information would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried vaping? I was at 12mg nicotine before I found out I was preggo. Once I found out I went down to 6mg and now I am at 0mg... They really help take the edge off... You still get the fulfillment of the smoking effect without all the chemicals that are in tobacco.....

I was a smoker when I unexpectedly got preg with mg 1st..... I weined off like u, it was difficult..... Once I started getting a belly I would feel so guilty looking down at it and toss the cig every time ..... Once I had my 1st ultrasound that actually showed the baby ..... All I could see in my head was the baby's home filling up with smoke and graphic horrid visuals.... Like how could my poor baby open its eyes without burning or breathe.....it got so bad and it helped me quit right then and there..... I hope maybe sharing those horrid graphic thoughts help you a bit too..... Never quit quitting!!! It will get easier each day .... Focus on baby ...

I could not quit with my first. I managed to quit a year after he was born with vaping. Try it. invest in a decent unit that you refill yourself with flavored PG/VG liquid.

Thank you both.

The vapes usually give me headaches. Maybe since I'm quitting, it won't bother me too much. I have heard how easy it is to cut back on them.

I'm hoping that once I have my first sonogram, where I can actually see the baby, I will be done with this crap, but if not that is definitely something to do when I smoke. Look at the pics and think about the future for the little minion. That's what I'm calling it. I hate saying it. So I say the minion. Minions are cute haha.

Thanks for the advice and motivation ladies!

Disclaimer: Sorry for the short novel!

I quit before I conceived my first and have been smoke free for a little over two years now. I was able to quit all while working a horribly stressful job in child welfare, finishing my final semester of graduate school, and planning my wedding. Before quitting I was smoking roughly a pack a day and had for nearly 10 years. Thankfully, I was able to use Chantix and highly recommend it though I am fairly certain it is not safe for use while pregnant.

That being said, there are other things you can do to help yourself. Smoking is part of your routine, so change your routine. Take a different route to the store or work if smoking in the car is a habit for you like it was for me. Suck on hard candies, chew gum, take deep breaths (I still have to do this sometimes), suck air through a straw when you have a craving. The thing that helped me the most when I would have really bad cravings was reminding myself how much I would regret giving in to the craving the next day. That seemed to really motivate me. Also, deep clean your house (even if you do not smoke in it), deep clean your car, all your clothing, everything. Take that underlying scent of smoke out of your environment and that will help with the cravings.

If you slip up, don't beat yourself up. Relapse is a part of recovery. It happens sometimes, just get right back on the wagon and allow yourself to recognize what caused you to slip up to begin with and avoid that trigger in the future. I have generalized anxiety disorder as well and I have had to find other ways besides smoking to cope with anxiety both with and without medications (they don't tend to mix with pregnancy well). The other thing I have found that helps with the anxiety is to just not fight it. It is ok to have an anxious feeling but it gets worse if I focus on it or try to fight it. If I keep thinking about not being anxious it seems all my brain picks up is the words "be anxious" and naturally my brain complies with this command. Deep breathing helps with this too.

Again, sorry for the LONG post. You can do this. I know it seems next to impossible. I never thought I would ever quit successfully, but here I am. Just take it one day at a time and don't let anyone make you feel like crap for doing your best.

Great advice. I do need to get the smell out of everything. Also the straw idea is great. I don't mind the long post at all. Very helpful. It's nice to hear that someone like me accomplished this.

I'm not a smoker, but I have several friends who were hardcore smokers, and have tried like crazy to quit. Some have been successful, some not. This may seem pointless, as I don't have any advice--but I just wanted to say you're obviously going to be a fabulous mom, as you are trying SO hard to do what is best for your little "minion." : ) Try not to be too hard on yourself--your doctor is right; each cig you cut back on benefits your baby. I just wanted to say good for you for sticking with something that is obviously very, very difficult. I'm rooting for you!!! : )

Also, this sounds a wee bit out there--but one of my friends (a smoker of 20+years) quit through hypnosis. I have NO clue if that is reputable, but she swears by it.

Good luck with whatever method you try! And like karalou said--you're doing your very best--don't let anyone give you flak for that! Best of luck, mama! Would love to hear updates on your progress. : )

Thank you both.

The vapes usually give me headaches. Maybe since I'm quitting, it won't bother me too much. I have heard how easy it is to cut back on them.

I'm hoping that once I have my first sonogram, where I can actually see the baby, I will be done with this crap, but if not that is definitely something to do when I smoke. Look at the pics and think about the future for the little minion. That's what I'm calling it. I hate saying it. So I say the minion. Minions are cute haha.

Thanks for the advice and motivation ladies!

LOL... I just seen mine for the first time last week... I'm calling him/her a little bean, because that is what the pic reminded me of. :D

I did quit at 5weeks i guess and now i believe i'm 7 weeks. Failed last night though as i was feeling REALLY sad cos of my bleeding & really needed a fag. But it was just one & i didn't smoke today.
Xxx

I quit on 7th June this year. Went over to vaping and haven't had a cigarette since. If vaping is giving you a headache, try a different mix of PG/VG or go totally VG liquid. Alternatively, the nicotine may be too high. Try a 1.8mg or lower if you're not smoking too much a day.

I don't know if you can get the nicorette quick mist spray in the USA https://www.nicorette.ca/products/quickmist - it's fantastic. You can use it every 30 mins if you need to and it takes the craving away instantly. Good luck x

Baby forced me to quit at 6 weeks mornin sickness had jus been that bad!
I went from smoking 20 a week to smoking non at all!

Haven't read all of the pp, but have you read Allen Carr's book, The Easy Way to Quit Smoking? It helped me a lot.

Thanks ladies for all of the help I will check out all of the suggestions. My quit date is Saturday. Wish me luck!!!

Popping over from second trimester.

I just want to say well done on cutting down - don't beat your self up to much, yes it's not great for baby but then again stress can be much worse.

I too small a smoker (or was, you decide after reading) I cut down before I found out I was pregnant, then I found out and realised I would have to quit, having that realisation made me go abit crazy with the fags. Then I moved on to the vape with 1.4mg liquid. When I saw my midwife she told me to stop vaping cause there isn't enough research been done. She told me she would rather me smoke a roll up (tobacco) than a cig cause it contains less chemicals. So I moved over to roll ups. I hated it every time I had the urge to smoke, I would fight it as long as I could but in the end I would always give in. So then I asked for help, I got a smoking lady come to my house who checks my carbon levels every week,for the first few weeks I would smoke until the day before I was due to see her as it only takes 24 hours for carbon monoxide to leave your system. Then I saw my baby in 4D, for me that made it more real but I still couldn't say no to a cig. Until 5 days ago, something clicked in my head, yes I'm craving them and it's so hard but I'm fighting the urge! So I've been smoke free for 5 days now with the help of patches.

Good luck on your journey. Xx

For me, I just finished up what was in my pack (about 7 cigs) and haven't smoked since (found out in early march). I even buy my OH his cigs, if I'm going to the store to get other things, rather than he going there and then me in same day. It is still a struggle as said he smokes. It would be so easy just to buy a pack for myself, but I refrain from doing so.

:hugs: I know it's hard. And I'm posting this before reading anything other than the original post. I honestly would just continue to talk with your doctor and your quit coach. Taper down. Maybe try vapor. I agree with your doctor, at least you have cut back. Sometimes it's better to have cut back, than to quit all together if you have problem with stress (which is not good for baby). There are times for me, if I have a panic attack, I want to have a cigarette. So again I know where you are coming from. I wish you the best, and again don't let what others say get you down. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->