Random placenta question!

sarah34

Expecting baby #2
Reaction score
Ok so I am up in the middle of the night cos I can't sleep and of course thoughts go to when I am pregnant with our second child and what I would like to be different.

I had an anterior placenta and I HATED it! It made my bump a weird shape, I didn't feel movements for a long time and I never had the 'kicking so hard I swear I can see fingers/toes' moments.

Just interested - how many of you that had anterior placentas had it in more than 1 pregnancy? I am a tummy sleeper so as mad as it sounds I am going to start sleeping on my front to help 'guide' where baby implants! Xx

I had it all three pregnancies! I don't think it's something you can control

I guess it probably isn't something you can control but sleeping on my back for a while won't hurt! Lol did you mind having it for all 3? Mine made my lo back to back xxx

I didn't know any different so it was fine for me. I had to go in a few times for reduced movements but they were always happy to check me over. My first was back to back but my others weren't

I had posterior placentas both times and never saw fingers and toes through my bump. Also I'm a side/partial tummy sleeper. I've known people that had both anterior and posterior placentas for different pregnancies, it's just random each time.

I had an anterior placenta for my first and we're TTC are second now, so no idea. But to be honest, I didn't experience anything you describe. I felt movement from 14 weeks and was comfortable. Fingers and toes might have more to do with how much body fat you have than anything, plus baby's position (honestly, that doesn't sound too pleasant so I wouldn't mind avoiding it though! I never saw any of that, but I did have lots of kicking that was painful sometimes, but that's most pregancies). The only time I was uncomfortable was when she was breech and her head was way up in my ribs, but otherwise, the anterior placenta didn't cause me any trouble at all. It can be more common to not feel movement til later, but there are still plenty who do, and sometimes your comfort level can be more down to how you're built than anything. I'm tall and have a long torso, so I think I was more comfortable than most. If you don't, you might tend to me more uncomfortable anyway regardless. The placenta is small relative to everything else, so it shouldn't really make much difference. Things like baby's size and position, fluid levels, pelvic structure, etc. probably would much more.

Yeah what you have both said makes sense but I never really experienced kicks as such, it was more that my belly just moved. I am not that big but I do have a bit of tummy fat so that could have been the reason. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it ruined my pregnancy cos I still loved feeling my son move but I would have preferred it not to be anterior xx

I guess i think that the reason I had to have assisted delivery was cos m son was back to back and I'd like to avoid that next time if I can. Saying that I do think it's just luck of the draw with placenta position so if I have another I will just accept it zx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"