Rant!! Doctors and Health Nurse useless :-(

Clopatjo

Reaction score
Does anyone find that when it comes to their infant colic/feedings issues that most GPs or HVs are frigging useless. They are completely in the dark as much as we are. Basically told its colic...they'll grow out of it now go on your merry way. Am sick of them.

My poor LO Evan is 4 weeks on Thurs. Has been in bits w/ tummy cramps after feeding. Can hear wind in tummy infacol not working. Have Dr. Brown bottles. Now am trying colief...into second day so will see, haven't seen any major improvement. He cried sorry screamed so hard last night, heartbreaking tempted to ring hospital but I know they'd say the same. Its so hard for us mums. I am on the net constantly doing my own research on things to help him. I think now it may be a touch of lactose intolerance so am going to keep going w/ colief or maybe try SMA LF - has anyone had any success on this. Also does anyone know can you use colief and detinox drops together x

They completely leave us to it some of these med profs. Twice I've been rushed out of their offices w/o feeling I've been heard so annoyed xx

i totally agree. i find alot of the time they all dish out contradictory info. after havin LO they confused me so bad, they all said something different. and it seemed like they answered what they wanted not what i asked.
me and OH were so annoyed we did our own research too and thats when we found bnb. i find other mummys and daddys are way more helpful and consistent.

That does seem to be a lot of people's experience. I was really lucky as my GP used to be a paediatrician. He diagnosed Holly's cow's milk protein intolerance (CMPI) and silent reflux straight away. Her medication and formula combination took a while to get right, but that's just one of those things. It might be worth filming your LO while he's in pain, so they can see what's going on, rather than just hearing about it. Also, a lot of people have gotten diagnosis from taking their LOs to A&E - they will have to be seen by a doctor once they're in hospital. If you think your LO has a problem with milk, it's far more likely to be CMPI than lactose intolerance. True lactose intolerance is rare, and is usually temporary - often caused by a gastro bug or similar. All I would say is keep perservering and taking LO back until a diagnosis is made. It's worth being a pest if it makes your LO better. Good luck and hope he feels better soon x x

Me too! The HV has never believed that D has reflux... literally looked at him and me like I was crazy even when he spewed all over us both!!! I ended up going to the docs and crying about it covered in milk/acid until she gave me some gaviscon to try which helped! We moved him from SMA to comfort milk too which seemed to make him more comfortable and regular! Now they are trying to get him off of comfort and onto follow on milk (hes 6 months tomorro) I just feel that they think I'm stupid and don't know my own son, grrrrr!

I hope you and bubs find the solution soon and peace is restored xxx

That does seem to be a lot of people's experience. I was really lucky as my GP used to be a paediatrician. He diagnosed Holly's cow's milk protein intolerance (CMPI) and silent reflux straight away. Her medication and formula combination took a while to get right, but that's just one of those things. It might be worth filming your LO while he's in pain, so they can see what's going on, rather than just hearing about it. Also, a lot of people have gotten diagnosis from taking their LOs to A&E - they will have to be seen by a doctor once they're in hospital. If you think your LO has a problem with milk, it's far more likely to be CMPI than lactose intolerance. True lactose intolerance is rare, and is usually temporary - often caused by a gastro bug or similar. All I would say is keep perservering and taking LO back until a diagnosis is made. It's worth being a pest if it makes your LO better. Good luck and hope he feels better soon x x

This 100%!

Hi my daughter had really bad colic too and basically nothing works except time and if you put them in a sling and carry them round. other than that all the products are useless.

Yheyyyy someone in the same boat as me! We might be able to help each other :) I feel like I am getting nowhere!! They both tell you different things so who do you listen to?! I'm sick and at my wits end. I dont know what to do anymore. We've been to the Gp's 3 times now and still no further forward...got another appointment next wed, probably another useless waste of time! Gracie had all of the symptoms your LO has. First they said it was colic.... but now they've diagnosed reflux. They wont prescribe anything other than gaviscon. They've told me to early wean. I started because thats what they'd said, then I stopped because alot on people on here addressed why they are strongly against it. I've tried to hold off a little longer but now we are again and shes still projectile vomiting with the little bit porridge that she has. So the early weaning isnt helping either. I know its the milk! I just know it but people wont listen and I dont know what to do anymore. HV says dont change her milk. Dr said to change it.
Sorry for the rant, I could go on forever!!
x

Can I ask what milk you have your LO one?x

I had the same. Hours and hours of screaming. I kept going to Drs and hv and kept being told it's one of those things. I felt as if they thought i was neurotic/paranoid or a poor coper who expected a baby to be silent. I really think they thought I was exaggerating about the screaming. As luck had it I was assigned a new hv in a reshuffle of surgeries and my new one said LI has same symptoms, did I want to try a lactose free formula. This worked wonders!! The first day I had 30mins screaming instead of 5/6 hours the second day was 45 mins and then.... Nothing! Just the 'usual' baby crying. She is now happy and settled which is lovely to see!

She's on Nutramigen AA. She was prescribed Aptamil Pepti first, which is a hypoallergenic formula made from heavily broken down cows milk. They will usually try something like that first as it's cheaper. She was still reacting to that after a couple of months so she was switched again to Nutramigen AA, which has no cows milk whatsoever. It's uber expensive (£35 for a small tin that lasts 3 days), which is why so many people have problems getting their doctors to prescribe it. Neocate is the other milk that CMPI LOs get put on, again it's really expensive. I would listen to your doctor and switch the milk, or ask your doctor for an allergy test and to be referred to a paediatrician. x x

Hun-you need to pester these people. Print off your research about colic, reflux and medicines at take that to them.

They are often inexperienced in baby care. My GP laughed at me when i was worried about y daughters diarrhoea and vomiting but the next day i took her straight to A and E and she was admitted for dehydration and was put on antbiotics:growlmad:

You have to SHOUT sometimes!

She's on Nutramigen AA. She was prescribed Aptamil Pepti first, which is a hypoallergenic formula made from heavily broken down cows milk. They will usually try something like that first as it's cheaper. She was still reacting to that after a couple of months so she was switched again to Nutramigen AA, which has no cows milk whatsoever. It's uber expensive (£35 for a small tin that lasts 3 days), which is why so many people have problems getting their doctors to prescribe it. Neocate is the other milk that CMPI LOs get put on, again it's really expensive. I would listen to your doctor and switch the milk, or ask your doctor for an allergy test and to be referred to a paediatrician. x x

I think the Dr was talking about comfort/staydown milks to try not hypoallergenic formula's. It was only an emergency appointment I had. Our Drs is always full. We've got an appointment booked in next wed with our Dr. I think I will get somewhere with her, shes lovely and will actually listen to me. But what do I do until then? I dont want to just take her down and see anyone again because its a waste of time. x

I think the Dr was talking about comfort/staydown milks to try not hypoallergenic formula's. It was only an emergency appointment I had. Our Drs is always full. We've got an appointment booked in next wed with our Dr. I think I will get somewhere with her, shes lovely and will actually listen to me. But what do I do until then? I dont want to just take her down and see anyone again because its a waste of time. x

Honestly? If LO is really that bad and you want her seeing sooner, take her to A&E. If you'd rather wait it's a good idea to do a diary of feed times, amounts, if we gave her anything like infacol, and symptoms. We did this, it made it easy for us to show a pattern of what was bothering Holly. x x

(sorry OP, hope you don't mind us hijacking your thread :flower:)

Have you tried gripe water? I was speaking to my friend yesterday and he said it really helped his LO who suffered terribly with colic and also has milk intolerance. He initially tried infacol said gripe water was far better.

My Lo also suffers from colic and we did try some gripe water last night, she certainly didn't scream for nearly as long as usual so am going to continue on with it for a couple of days and see if it makes a difference.

maybe its worth a shot?
xx

Honestly? If LO is really that bad and you want her seeing sooner, take her to A&E. If you'd rather wait it's a good idea to do a diary of feed times, amounts, if we gave her anything like infacol, and symptoms. We did this, it made it easy for us to show a pattern of what was bothering Holly. x x

(sorry OP, hope you don't mind us hijacking your thread :flower:)

Thanks. I am going to take her to a&e tonight. (So I have my mam for moral backup support lol) Yet again been on the phone to GP and HV and what a waste of time.

We've tried all of them, infacol, gripe water, colic drops.....everything! Dont rate any of them.

How many oz's was your LO taking and how often? Only asking because I though I may be over feeding. Gracie has 5 bottles in 24hours. 7-8oz's. I've tried feeding little and often but she wont take a feed if she doesnt want it. And she'll scream for more if she hasnt had enough

Oh yes sorry for hijacking! I'm at my wits end xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->