Rant!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by BabyDancer34, Aug 20, 2009.

1. BabyDancer34

BabyDancer34 Preggers with #2!!!

Well just called up the number I was given by the GP for the MW to make my booking in appt about 8-9 weeks. She told me I needed to make my scan appointment first!!!!!!? So put me through to somebody (didn't know which hospital I was talking to or anything!) and made my own appointment which they wouldn't do before 12 + 6!! I had to ask the lady on the phone which hospital I was speaking to which turns out to not be the closest to where I live (??). Then got put back through and made my booking in appt which she did for the week before 11 + 5. Seems a bit late to me? She says the maternity unit like bloods from the week prior?
    The lady on the phone then proceeded to tell me that I needed to decide where I wanted to have my baby! At which point I said well what are my options?!!!! She told me to look on the internet and go and find out and then we can decide at my booking in appt!
    My gut feeling is that the NHS are pants! I just think that's totally odd that I had to make my own scan appt and then she told me that I won't get a letter to confirm it as I'm making it by phone (as opposed to what carrier pigeon?) and I needed to write down the details! So do I need to go with a full bladder? Where do I go? Arghhhhhhhh!!!

Sorry just needed to rant!

2. saffy1978

saffy1978 Mummy to 5!

Oh dear :( I'm dreading phoning my docs/midwife/scan etc if that's the crap i'm gonna have to go thro. Why do they make it so flippin difficult these days? In my last pregnancy only 4 years ago, it was still all done thro your doctors surgery.
    1. See your gp, get it confirmed.
    2. See your midwife bout 6-8 weeks.. she fills out all the forms and phones thro for your scan app there and then.
    EASY!!!
    Ugh.. I feel sick with the thought of getting messed around so much.

:hugs:

3. Flick

Flick Well-Known Member

Hmm that sounds really weird :s Maybe you were just unlucky that the person you happened to get through to was a bit crap? :s

I just made one phone call, and got a letter with everything a few days later (from the Mid Essex Hospital Service), together with a booklet on screening tests. My antenatal meeting is at 10 1/2 wks and scan at 12 1/2.

The antenatal, the letter says it is to go over medical history and give information on maternity services.

The scan, the letter asks me to drink 1 1/2 pints of water, 1 hour prior to the scan, and not to wee (I think I'll be in agony!!)

I did get to choose which hospital, since I'm midway between two.

4. BabyDancer34

Thanks ladies for sharing your experiences. I didn't think this seemed right. I've been given no information or advice at all! The Dr I went to see (who isn't my Dr) told me to buy a book! I thought I'd get some info on screening tests, hospitals in my area, who to call if I have a problem? Nothing, nada!

5. BabyDancer34

I might go and see my GP and ask for some information/advice?

6. Flick

Flick Well-Known Member

I would :)

A stupid question, I know, but the number s/he gave you, was it a national number or a local one for the service near you?
    I had a local number direct to the clinic near me x

Good luck, try not to worry too much x

7. bec_v

bec_v Well-Known Member

Maybe you got a woman in a bad mood?
    I had my MW appointment a few days ago and had the choice of which hospital to have it, the MW rang up for me and asked if I had preference to time of day too. Then she wrote the date and time down on a pre-printed letter that has all the info on as to where to go on the day. I was surprised as I was expecting arsey people too.

8. BabyDancer34

Nah she was in a good mood and obviously felt she was doing a good job. That was what was so annoying!

9. luv2jig

luv2jig Dr. Mom!

I know how you feel! I won't get an appointment until after 12 weeks...no instructions over the phone or anything.

PS BabyDancer, we're both exactly 5+5!

10. aflight84

aflight84 Mummy to a princess x

OMG babes that's terrible my dr's have been ace. My dr referred me to midwifes and i was seen at just before 8 weeks they went over everything with me got my blood forms to have at 10 weeks then another lot to have with 12 week scan and my first midwife appointmetn for 16 weeks

maybe your dr might be able to help you with this to make sure you get seen at the hospital you want to be at! xx

11. bluecathy1978

bluecathy1978 Mum to 6 kids & 2 angels

Hi!

I think the way you have been treated is pants!!

There is lots of information on the net so you wont need to buy a book and us girls are always here for a chat or advice xxx:hugs:

12. snettyb

snettyb Well-Known Member

Thats shocking hun! Its so simple in my area.

I went to my GP
    I filled out a form for the midwife stating where i wanted to have my baby
    She rang within 24 hours to book an appointment (8 weeks)

All my scan and consultant appointments come in the post and i just turn up

Seems stupid that it's not so simple everywhere, i would hate to be messed about xx

13. BabyDancer34

Thanks ladies for all your encouragement and lovely support! I've calmed down now after ending up in tears all over hubby at lunchtime. We decided we will just read up our books and on the internet and make sure we've got all the info we need and not rely on the NHS to tell us anything. Hopefully once we're 'in the system' it will all get a bit smoother!

P.s - Luv2jig - yay we're exactly the same dates!!! What symptoms do you have?

14. Birmz85

Birmz85 Me And My Lil Man :-)

:hugs: the person you spoke to sounded pants hun :hugs:

I had to go see my GP who discussed all i was nervous about and excited about, she gave me a form to fill out for my perscription exemption card (YAY :dance:) she asked if i had a preference of hospitals and i told her, she sent a letter their and now i have to wait for them to send me my info in the post...

I'd speak to your personal GP and tell them your upset with how they did everything!!! :hugs: