Ranty rant rant rant!!!!!

BabyRaff

Proud mummy to Riley
Reaction score
OMG I'm so annoyed ... practically from when I found out I was pg I wanted a water birth ... it looks so relaxing and nice (as nice as it can be lol) and lately i've started researching it, I like to be prepared so I know whats happening.

But during my readings I found that I'll probably not be ALLOWED to use a birth pool because of my BMI ... my BMI is apparently 42, I don't keep an eye on my weight and when she asked me what it was I said 18 stone which it was the previous day when I turn 12 weeks pg. I assumed that I couldn't be much less than that, but because I'm only 5'4 my BMI is high... but they don't take into account muscle mass, which is partly why I have large calves and the size of my breasts ... which are 1 stone each pre-preg (a fun night at uni lol), I'm classed as obese which I've come to terms with, it's my fault and I want to change that, but while I'm pregnant there isn't very much I can do.

NOW I find out that the only way I really want to give birth isn't allowed because of my stupid BMI. ARGHHHHHH so far I've had a good pregnancy, perfect blood test, far from anaemic, I have to be test for Gestational diabetes, but that's just routine.

I've been a good girl ... it's not fair. How can they tell you how to give birth, it's a natural thing they can't stop you doing it how you want. Health and Safety has gone way overboard :cry:

Sorry this is so long, but I'm sooooo peed off I needed to moan!!

I know what you mean as I'm obese too but the reason you're not allowed is if there was an emergency and they had to get you out of the pool quickly they can't manage it with a bigger girl iykwim.. makes sense really but still sad. x

It does make sense, but they shouldn't just say point blank no! they should at least tell you the problems and let you make the decision on your own. I hate being told I can't do something huff!!

Hey hoping4babies ... I didn't know you were over here either :D How are you? you got pregnant then yay and around the same time as me haha wierd!!

Im great!!! Yes looks like i conceived just 4 dayz before you!!! We are having a girl :) do u kno yet?

True but I'm sure your mw would explain it to you if you asked her to... it really is for the benefit of the mother and baby not just because you're not allowed because you're overweight and that's it, there is a very valid reason. xx

ive wanted a water birth my last 2 pregnancies but cant as I have to be monitored so they say due to my 'hashimotos 'immune disease that I have......I have to be monitored constantly and on my back....and will again this time, Its annoying as I cant get up, walk about or anything, I usualy just lay there on the gas and air:cry:
Sorry to hear you cant have one either, I know how annoying it is

I know they have a good reason, it just gets to me. They should point it right from the start so you don't get your hopes up about something make me sad.

Im great!!! Yes looks like i conceived just 4 dayz before you!!! We are having a girl :) do u kno yet?

haha how wierd ... congrats on having a girl :) we won't be able to find out till next friday and that is if LO isn't being awkward lol

I'm sure I read somewhere that if your birthing partner/s can assist you it may be allowed, not sure if that's every hospital but might be worth looking into. x

I think it should be the mothers decision as long as hospital explain that if there are complications then it may be more diffcult to deal with at the time. But then that's your choice isn't it. I don't think it should be point blank refused.

Thats exactly what I mean Swanny, I totally get that it would cause a lot of complications if anything were to go wrong, but it should my my decision to risk that. Not theirs, I really do think there is too much interference into what is one of the most natural things in the world.
sar55 I really hope that your right about that and my hospital let me, I was so looking forward to labour with a birth pool

I want a go in the pool too, but I'm overweight (my boobs and muscles too) so probably won't be allowed.
But surely it's up to me if I want to risk it?? Like it is up to me to choose what pain relief meds I want?!
I'm going to push for it as much as possible, don't give up! :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->