Raspberry Leaf Tea

Clartylou

Mummy to Samuel, Pgt no#2
Reaction score
I bought myself a box of this after reading the good reviews on here about 2nd stage of labour. When I went into holland and barratts to buy it they asked me how far along I was. I told her I was 38wks and she said that was okay; because she had been advised not to sell it to anyone under 38wks. Apparently a women only 2 months pregnant tried to purchase it recently and they have tighted there rules.

It all seems a bit odd that they have to police there products, but surely the pregnant woman at only 2 months should have known it was for late stage pregnancy?!

Ohh how much of this do I need to drink? I plan to start using it tomorrow when I am actually 38 wks.

Cx

I have drank 3 - 4 cups a day for the past couple of days.
hth
Ang
xx

ive been drinkin 2 cups a day for the last week

I was drinking 6 cups a day at 38 weeks hun:hugs:

Have I left it too late to start drinking it?

Cx

38 weeks??? noway! I started at about 34/35 weeks? I'm 38 weeks in 2 days but I think thats a bit late to start drinking it - 2 weeks before? Well I don't mind it but I have to have sugar in it - I know I shouldnt really lol. But I'm still not drinking much of it, I wanted to be drinking more than I am, I'm still only having a cup a day, but if I have more than that I really should cut the sugar out - I keep forgetting I've got the damn stuff!

I think you can drink it when ever...there is conflicting advice all over the internet and if it was a problem to drink it too early, it would carry big health warnings.

i just bought some today and had my first cup. then was reading a bit about it on the internet as wanted to know how many cups i should be drinking a day and I read that if you're anaemic you should not drink it as it can reduce the amount of iron your body absorbs. My Hb levels were low at my last blood test. has anyone else heard this?

sorry -i don't mean to highjack your thread clartylou - to answer your question, i would have thought you could drink as many cups as you like by the time you're 38 weeks.

i just bought some today and had my first cup. then was reading a bit about it on the internet as wanted to know how many cups i should be drinking a day and I read that if you're anaemic you should not drink it as it can reduce the amount of iron your body absorbs. My Hb levels were low at my last blood test. has anyone else heard this?

sorry -i don't mean to highjack your thread clartylou - to answer your question, i would have thought you could drink as many cups as you like by the time you're 38 weeks.

ive not heard this, but would really like to know answer if anyone knows as im up to 3/4 cups a day but also on iron tablets.

I'm on 4 cups a day now. Have been drinking it since 31 weeks, and have never been asked how far along I am when buying it.

I'm pretty sure there's a couple of girls on here who have been drinking it since first tri. It doesn't induce labour so should be perfectly safe to drink all through pregnancy. It's mad that they refuse to sell it sometimes. You'd think they'd want the money :rofl:

I started at 32 weeks with one cup, am having 2 cups now a day and I can definitely notice and increase in practice contractions and cramping after I drink it. I will probably go up to only about 4 cups per day at around 38 weeks.

started on 1 cup a day at 34 wks, been having 4 cups a day since 37 weeks (I'm now 40 + 5). Funnily enough though, my iron levels which were very good in 2nd tri are now slightly low...not so much that I needed iron tablets though.

My midwife says its perfectly safe and just tones the uterus and I could start whenever! I might have to send hubby in to buy it!

I started about 2 weeks ago with 1 cup a day, Im now trying to do 2 cups a day ;)

xxxx

I found this at babycentre:
It contains a uterine tonic and, taken daily in the last six to eight weeks of pregnancy, it helps to prepare the uterine muscles for labour and thereby ease the process of childbirth.

In a study carried out in Sydney, Australia, 192 first-time mums were given at random either a 1.2g raspberry leaf tablet or a placebo twice a day from 32 weeks of pregnancy. The herb had no harmful effects on mother or baby, and those women who had taken raspberry leaf tablets were found to have a shorter second stage of labour and a lower rate of forceps delivery (19.3 per cent versus 30.4 per cent). However, far more research is needed to confirm these results.

It is very important not to use raspberry leaves until the last two months of pregnancy because of their stimulating effect on the uterus. Start with one cup of tea a day or one tablet and build up gradually to a maximum of four cups of tea or tablets daily. The tea can be sipped freely during labour, too.

You can buy raspberry leaf tablets from health food stores. However many women prefer to make a tea from the dried herb, which is available from some health shops and from herbal suppliers, such as Neal's Yard Remedies. It can also be obtained from a herbalist. To find a registered herbalist near you, contact the National Institute of Medical Herbalists. The tea, or infusion, can be made as follows: put 25g/1oz of the dried herb in a pot and pour on 600ml/1 pint of boiling water. Cover and infuse for 15 minutes. Alternatively, add 1 teaspoonful of the dried herb to a cup of boiling water.

Another herbal remedy that can be used in conjunction with raspberry leaves is squaw vine. Like raspberry leaves, it has traditionally been considered a useful aid to labour and childbirth. As its name suggests, North American Indian women regularly took it in the weeks leading up to childbirth. Like raspberry leaves, it is a uterine tonic which helps to ease labour and birth. There is no research about the effectiveness of squaw vine.

Squaw vine can be obtained from a herbalist in the form of a tincture. She will advise you of how much to take and how often. It should not be taken until the last few weeks of pregnancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->