raw prawns

X

xBabycakes

should you totally avoid raw prawns if your pregnant?

i'm not completely certain whether i am pregnant, but i'm going to my grandparents tonight and for starter is prawn salad. If I am pregnant I obviously want to be eating the right foods and to take care of myself. I guess I just want to be safe than sorry, that's all. And i'm not sure if you need to avoid them completely!

Personally I would avoid them as you don't know how they have been handled etc? Prawns in themselves aren't bad (the cold ones you get are actually cooked) but you just don't know if they've been cooked or chilled properly. If you want to eat prawns thought they're better in things like curries where they've been heated.

They do say to avoid prawns really just in case you get food poisoning. Not sure how you are going to say no to the starter though! I had the same problem round in-laws and had to say I had had sick bug in day so best not to risk it!

I've gone on the rule of thumb, if they are pink and bought off the shelf then no... if I buy them raw and I cook them myself then it's fine. because I know they are cooked well.

yeh, well they know i've been feeling 'off' for the last week, so i could just tell them i feel sicky. that's not far from the truth though because i do feel really sick, i've practically been gagging all morning! thankyou for the advice xx

Im still eating prawn mayo! i did with my last 2 pregnancies, if you listen to everything they say you wouldnt eat at all lol

I've gone on the rule of thumb, if they are pink and bought off the shelf then no... if I buy them raw and I cook them myself then it's fine. because I know they are cooked well.

That's the rule I've been following. Not worth the risk in case they're are slightly underdone!!!
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->