Re: Dentist and X-Ray, what are risks?

jj-rabbit

Mum to Chase
Reaction score
Hi all, I know you aren't suppose to have an x-ray whilst pregnant but someone said they cover bump up but I just wondered what the risks are if bump is covered up or is it safe?
Basically a year ago I had a filling, it's never been right. Last time I went to the dentist a couple of months ago she said after baby had been born she wanted to x-ray my tooth and then see about putting a crown in. Anway over the last few weeks i've been having pain in this tooth. It sounds weird but it feels like the tooth is high it's like it doesn't fit??, when I put my teeth together they don't all touch, it's like the one I have trouble with is too high and stops my others touching. When i chew also (and i can't chew on sore side) the pain sometimes is so much, everytime my top teeth touch my sore bottom one it kills.
Thinking i'm not going to be able to hold out until our boy is born but i'm worried if i have to have an x-ray.
Thanks, any advice much appreciated.
Louise

I had a check up the other day and it was a new dentist. They didn't xray me because I was pregnant. Not sure if it was an emergency though? Sorry not much help.

Hi there,

This is very relavent to me actually. I've had horrendous toothache for a week now but am petrified of the dentist. Finally this morning i decided i was gonna have to give in and go to the dentist. The options he gave me were root canal (no thank you) or to extract the tooth but either way i'd need to have an x ray. The dentist told me there's always a risk of having an x ray whilst pregnant as it's still radiation however he assured me the x ray was very localised only to the mouth and the risk was minimal. Luckily DH came with me for moral support so the dentist let us discuss it first and we decided that i'd have the x ray. I was in so so much pain and it was the only way to get me out of pain. I have been worried all day. On the other side of things, if i hadnt had it done i would still be in agony and i'm sure not having eaten or slept for a week would have done me or the baby any good at all. It's a personal decision but i know i couldnt have coped with the pain for another five months and it's done now so am not gonna beat myself up about it.

i had an xray on my hand last time as thought it was broken when i was 23 weeks pregnant and didnt cover bump

I've had an x-ray at the dentist's while pregnant. It was actually done in first trimester before I realised I was pregant. I called him back when I found out and he assured me that as it was such a small dose of radiation and directed away from the stomach it was fine.

I had an xray at the dentist last week. They put 2 of the lead vests on me to be on the safe side but it is OK to have it done! I was told it was very important because dental problems can lead to preterm labor if left unchecked!

i had one last month and had a tooth extracted. let them know so they can cover the bump but it is a small dose like someone else said. it should be safe.

It's fine, especially as you'll be wearing a lead apron. I ended up having about 18 x-rays done over the course of a week, all very close to my bump due to an injury at about 18 weeks.

I had 3 xrays and a ct scan whilst pregnant with my LO and it didn't do any harm.

x

AS Honeygrl said = its really imprtant to get dental problems sorted out in pregnancy as infection in any part of your body, including the mouth can cause issues with prem labour! If the dentist isnt happy to xray they will at least prescribe you antibiotics to sort out infection until they can..

At the end of the day - dentists train as hard as doctors do, pregnancy in patients being one of the things they learn about... so they wouldnt put you or baby at any unecessary risk xx

AS Honeygrl said = its really imprtant to get dental problems sorted out in pregnancy as infection in any part of your body, including the mouth can cause issues with prem labour! If the dentist isnt happy to xray they will at least prescribe you antibiotics to sort out infection until they can..

At the end of the day - dentists train as hard as doctors do, pregnancy in patients being one of the things they learn about... so they wouldnt put you or baby at any unecessary risk xx

I just had a bunch of x-ray my OB sent a letter to the dentist on what he would allow. As long as you wear a led apron you and baby should be okay

Thanks everyone for replies, you have made me feel a lot bettter if i do have to have an x-ray. Thinking for now she may just be able to take the filling out and re fill, it's weird my tooth doesn't hurt like when there is a whole in it it's more when my other teeth touch it, so when i'm eating or brushing my teeth and it's like the whole tooth.

Now the fun bit of trying to get an appointment later on, and i'm petrified of the dentist too.

Thanks again everyone :thumbup:

I've had an x-ray at the dentist's while pregnant. It was actually done in first trimester before I realised I was pregant. I called him back when I found out and he assured me that as it was such a small dose of radiation and directed away from the stomach it was fine.

Hi Bobby, I know this is a old message but I wanted to ask you if you had a digital xray or traditional xray where they use bitewing films. It's on youtube, please let me know. Kind Regards.

Just to assure anyone on this issue, the risk is extremely extremely low, a lot of dentists wont take xrays when pregnant as there are strict guidelines on taking xrays on anyone not just pregnant women, and it has to be justifiable, the benefit has to outweigh the risks, so if a dentist knows there is no nerve involvement and is a simple fill there is no need for xrays, if on the other hand a tooth needs root canal treatment or taking out, a dentist has to prove that with an xray,

the radiation dose is incredibly low and the radiation isn't directed at the baby, its directed straight at the tooth in question, dentists have to work by the term ALARA, as low as reasonably achievable. So if an xray is needed to diagnose probs, there is extremely little risk to baby

fully trained and qualified dental nurse, 10 years experience xx

Just to assure anyone on this issue, the risk is extremely extremely low, a lot of dentists wont take xrays when pregnant as there are strict guidelines on taking xrays on anyone not just pregnant women, and it has to be justifiable, the benefit has to outweigh the risks, so if a dentist knows there is no nerve involvement and is a simple fill there is no need for xrays, if on the other hand a tooth needs root canal treatment or taking out, a dentist has to prove that with an xray,

the radiation dose is incredibly low and the radiation isn't directed at the baby, its directed straight at the tooth in question, dentists have to work by the term ALARA, as low as reasonably achievable. So if an xray is needed to diagnose probs, there is extremely little risk to baby

fully trained and qualified dental nurse, 10 years experience xx
Should two traditional bitewing xrays without a lead apron be of concern? :(Please let me know. Thank youvery much.

I had a dental X-ray in my last pregnancy my bump was covered and all was fine x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->