Re-start breastfeeding?

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by daneuse27, Oct 7, 2013.

1. daneuse27

daneuse27 Well-Known Member

My 13 month old has stopped breastfeeding. We gradually weaned until we just didn't do it any more (last nurse was about a week ago, or more.)

I have mixed feelings about us stopping. :cry: I keep wondering if I should have gone until Christmas to give her the extra nutrients and antibodies but then I worry that it would be harder to wean her then (I dont want to go until 2.)

Does anyone think its possible for me to start again at this point?

2. BellaRosa8302

BellaRosa8302 Mama of 3

Yes. I haven't, but I am part of the breast is best group on Facebook & ladies talk about it from time to time. It's called relactating. From what I understand, you start over again. Lots of skin to skin, get LO to nurse even if nothing comes out, and pump every 2-3 hours. (From what I've read!) hope this helps.

3. seaweed eater

seaweed eater Well-Known Member

I don't think you need to fully relactate if you nursed for 13 months and just stopped a week ago :flower: why don't you try offering and see what happens? A LC told me that my son who stopped at 11 months might decide to start again at 15 months when we're traveling, so if that's possible (which I'm not sure about myself to be honest...) then I would think you definitely have a chance.

4. Tacey

Tacey Well-Known Member

It shouldn't be too hard. My daughter stopped for a couple of months before starting again. There's nothing to lose by giving it a go. I wouldn't have thought it would be any harder to wean her in a few months that you've found it this time. Good luck!

5. seaweed eater

Wow Tacey, really? At what age did your daughter stop?

6. Tacey

Tacey Well-Known Member

Still going :haha: Just once a day now though.

7. seaweed eater

Oh sorry, that was unclear -- I meant, at what age did she stop for a couple months and then restart?

8. Tacey

Tacey Well-Known Member

Ah! Sorry :D She was 3. Many of my friend have had similar experiences. One little girl stopped for about 6 months!

9. seaweed eater

That is fascinating! Thanks for sharing. :) I wonder whether mine will ever go back...I would be surprised, but I'm still making milk, so he could!