real (cotton) vs. disposable nappies

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by whitelilly, Apr 25, 2009.

1. whitelilly

whitelilly Mummy :)

I have been considering using the Bambino Mio nappies... but all that washing outs me off! I know there are benefits though and they are kinder to bambino's bottom.

Have any of you been thinking about this or are you dead set on disposables? xx

2. Tammi

Tammi New Mommy

I m going for disposables :)

3. Pink_Witch

Pink_Witch proud mummy of 6

i have brought the bambino mio's! the washing of them doesnt really bother me tbh with having 6 kids when baby is born i will always be washing anyway!!

4. Lulu

Lulu 1 dude & 1 dudette

I was thinking about the bambino mio's but I've gone for mothercare 'smart nappy'. The washing doesn't really bother me, the thought of having smelly disposables in my wheelie bin for up to 2 weeks in between uplifts does bother me though. I just think it will be really horrible and smelly, no matter how many nappy sacks I use, especially in the middle of summer :(

5. whitelilly

good point lulu...! i never thought of that. I really like the bambino mios and am swaying towards those. x

6. Abz1982

Abz1982 Mum to 2 nutters!

I'm using cloth nappies. BUT, due to our kitchen being refurbished some point around the 20th May (fab timing council!) I will have NO washing machine, and so would have to trundle daily to the free washing machines they provide.

I am sure the workmen are going to LOVE that my nappy bucket will be in the hall :) Kickin up a stink for them. lol

7. NoSpringChick

NoSpringChick Well-Known Member

I would prefer to use reuseable but just not practicle getting them dried as I only have the clothes horse in the kitchen to dry stuff and it would take days, so we are going disposeable.

8. mommydrgnfly

mommydrgnfly Prego w/ 4th.

hmmm.. well i don't know really yet.. i will probably buy atleast a few packs of diapers.. they go through them so fast anyway, until I figure out how to do those washable ones right lol.. i hate the smell of diapers sitting in the trash.. eww.. and that genie thing for dirty diapers they sell.. does not work!.. and my son who is 5 has problems so he still goes in his underwear.. so i already wash yucky undies lol.. why not add on to the mess? It would be alot cheaper!! Thanks for the post.. it actually made me think.

9. viejita

viejita Well-Known Member

I'm going to use the bambino mios - but I'm going to soak them. You can just put them straight in the washing machine on a 60 degree wash but I figured that would take a lot of energy generating that heat and the time that heat cycle goes for on the washing machine.

So I'm going for the alternative way - soak them in the bucket (with tight lid - I got a cool box from Ikea) and then you can either just rinse them out by hand or put them in the washing machine to rinse through - which is a very short cold water cycle. So as well as not using landfill, I hope to be greener that way too.

I'm not a reusable nappy fascist in any way - I will use disposables when necessary - like sometimes when going out. I like the idea of resuables though - I bought a packet of Pampers newborn yesterday so I could get the boots changing bag - £6 for 35 nappies and given that a newborn uses between 10 and 12 a day - that is £2 per day. Ouch!

I got my bambino mios off Ebay. These were new sets, not used - but I'd have no qualms getting second hand "used" ones - nothing a boil wash couldn't sort out.

Hope that helps

10. mommydrgnfly

mommydrgnfly Prego w/ 4th.

ahh viehita.. thanks.. u literally just gave me a great idea with the disposable diapers for going out.. great idea :).. thank u thank u thank u lol.

11. alice&bump

alice&bump mummy to katie

i use bambino mios and they're fab!! when we first got them, i was like, there's no way on gods earth that i'm touching shitty nappies and putting them in the wash! OH said he'd do it all...5months on and he did his first load the other day!!

i used to soak them, but i found getting them in the washer without dripping water everywhere was a nightmare, loads of disinfectant being used. and they stunk to high heaven! now i just put them in the bucket dry and put napisan in the wash. they dry really quickly too! you do need to spend quite a bit at first, we didnt have enough size1, but now we're in size 2, we use them almost constantly! shes in them at night now aswell, but i think when they're tiny its easier to put in disposables at night cos now i use the size 1 nappy as a booster!

sorry, i've gone on a bit xx

12. marley2580

marley2580 Well-Known Member

You should check out if your council have a real nappy incentive scheme. Here you can get a trial pack of different nappies worth £75 for £15.

13. cyclura

cyclura Mother and expecting

we are using prefolds and wraps here, one of the other ladies made a very good point about the bins and ours is just outside our front door, I would hate the smell.

Main reason though is we are both what people like to call "tree huggers" and we are trying to be as environmentally friendly as possible

14. Lucy_lu_84

Lucy_lu_84 Pregnant with #2

never thought about the smell in the bins...two weeks ewww!

Although as it stands we're going for disposible oens

15. Mimiso

Mimiso Mum of three

We are going for the real nappies this time as it will be considerably cheaper than buying disposables. I reckon I will go for the Bambino's as well. With regards to soiled nappies, I thought you could buy disposable liners to place inside the nappies that are flushable so once LO has done a number two you take the liner out and flush it with the poo. Is this correct guys as I really do not fancy rinsing poo off a nappy............even for the environment

16. whitelilly

Yeah Mimiso they are flushable and 100% biodegradable. xx

17. dizzy duck

dizzy duck Mummy to Oliver

We looked in to them but due to my disability washing is very hard at the best of times, we then looked at a company who come and take them away to be washed but they work out a lot dearer than disposables so we are going for disposables but everybodies situations are different, I would love to use them, take care :hugs: XX

18. sublime_ivy

sublime_ivy Well-Known Member

I was told by a lady who comes to your house to sell reusables that it is best to start out with disposables until you are comfortable and used to changing nappies. She said that most people who try using reusables straight away get disheartened and give up. There are quite a few more brands out there than bambino mio and mothercare.

Maybe you can see if there is someone in your area who can come to your house and give you a demo. The lady I have found will come over and bring a wide range of nappies with price guides etc. Also my friend works for bambino mio so I can get nappies at cost price which is nice. eBay is also a great place to find reusables if you don't mind second hand ones..

19. alice&bump

alice&bump mummy to katie

the liners are really good, but very occasionally you get a slight poo leak where it goes onto the nappy. nothing major tho and they do leak a bit of poop thru, but just so it sort of colours the nappy xx

20. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Mum of 2

I used cloth with my ds from 7 mths and plan on using it again with this one from birth. I've never used bambino mio as i always read bad reports on them. My favourites were tots bots bamboozles.