Real life expectancy of Bumgenius...??

Discussion in 'Natural Parenting' started by Poppy7, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Poppy7

Poppy7 Trained BF Peer Supporter

I love my BG nappies. I have 25 of them and they are used everyday so each one is probably washed atleast once/twice a week.

I bought all of my stash preloved to keep costs down. Sone are looking a little tired but are still completely useable.

How long do you think BG last if they are looked after properly? Is there anything I can do to rejuvinate them a little?

I really want to use them for baby number two so don't want them falling apart/failing on me.

2. Kaites

Kaites Well-Known Member

I think the PUL is pretty tough- I wash on hot and tumble dry them (yes, even though they say not to) and mine are still going strong too. The aplix on the other hand looked terrible within a couple of months of using them but it's still kinda useable (and that was back when I actually followed their wash instructions, lol).

There are lots of tutorials out there on replacing the leg elastics and converting them from aplix to snaps (poppers) so I might convert them to snaps once the aplix is finally beyond use.

3. mandarhino

mandarhino Mum of 1

I agree with Kaites. It is the aplix that will let you down, while the rest of the nappy still works well. I don't find the BG aplix as good or hard wearing as other brands.

Poppers conversion might be way forward.

4. Mary Jo

Mary Jo Mummy to Adam and Joel

I have noticed the leg elastic on mine looking a little slack, after 16 months' use, but they're still ok. I might look into freshening them up later/if we have another baby. The aplix looks a bit ratty but it's still sticky enough.

5. Rydia

Rydia 1 Boy & 1 Girl

My BGs are still in good shape even though my LO is 22 months old and I have to wash every other day because I dont have alot of nappies. I am not sure if they would last to potty training for a second child though . . . I am going to buy some more nappies for my second for that reason and also because I am not sure if my son willl be potty trained when my next LO is born (there will be a 28/29 month gap between them) and I dont want the pressure of having to have my son out of nappies just because another baby is coming. I think the new Bum Geniuses will last alot longer since they are poppers ,that is what I am going to get for my second.

6. baby05

baby05 Well-Known Member

I dont know! we are on 2.5 years with ours and they are still going strong!

7. Poppy7

Poppy7 Trained BF Peer Supporter

Thank you so much everyone. You are all so helpful :hugs: