• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Really Bad Cradle Cap! Help!

Rachel_ni

Expecting 1st Baby!
Reaction score
Hi guys! My sister just gave birth to a beautiful baby girl about 11 weeks ago called Aiobheann (we're from Ireland - pronounced Aveen :) ) and she is suffering from really bad cradle cap! I am expecting a baby myself (Im about 12 weeks now) and I was telling her about this site! I love it for all the advice and support it offers, and she asked me to post it up here! Does anyone know any useful tips to help with it? It's quite yellow now and flaky! And when I was round with her today, the cradle cap is also looking quite bloody at the top? (Like red blood scabs) She has used things like Olive oil and medicated cradle cap treatment from the local chemist but it is still quite bad...

I would love to hear any advice or tips from all the mums out there!
Rachel x

We stopped using Johnsons baby products and Halen's cleared up straight away, other than the stuff she's tried I don't know what else to suggest hun

took about two- three weeks for it to clear up for us.
tried medicated shampoo but he had a reaction to this.
tried olive oil and had a slight improvement but not much.
we avoided using any baby products when bathing him, just plain water, once a week using a little shampoo.
cleared up on it's own in the end

Thanks guys, I'll pass on the info... maybe she's just putting too much treatment on it and it could do with getting a rest!x

Gently brushing baby's head with a soft baby hair brush can help - it can also help prevent it too. :)

Thanks Petal, I know she does that as well but I have a feeling she's worrying about it too much and brushing/treating it too often!

Try massaging the olive oil on about half an hour before washing LO's hair.

It can take a few weeks to clear up too hun. My first daughter had really thick cradle cap when she was a baby and I used the cradle cap shampoo, (cant remember what it's called now, was a long time ago!) which took ages to clear up. Unfortunately, as the scales came off so did her lovely dark hair.. but then it grew back light blonde and sticky up!

my wee girl had it, i used baby oil and massaged it into her scalp left it over night and the next morning with a fine hair baby brush brushed backwards on her head and the flakes came away like magic! it took 3 or 4 nights of doing this and it all disappeared. What i thought was causing it was baby shampoo so i stopped using it as she didn't have much hair anyway and just used clean water with no baby bath in it. x

olive oil cleared my DD's

We did this before bed, but massaged it on

Gently brushing baby's head with a soft baby hair brush can help - it can also help prevent it too. :)

and then the next morning we used a really soft baby brush like above but with plain water, it took a good couple of weeks but we got there in the end and she is nearly CC clear now

We've used Dentinox cradle cap shampoo, and it has more or less cleared it up. We only use it every other day.

Believe it or not Sudocreme is great at getting rid of it. I got this tip of a friend and I have only had to use it once and it got rid of it, never for it to return.

Basically rub in a thick layer of sudocreme over the effected area and leave it on as long as possible. My friend recommended over night but I only had the chance to leave it for a couple of hours. When you're ready to remove it start by using a baby hairbrush and brush the hair backwards, thus loosening any flakes. Then use warm water with a little baby shampoo in (should be fine as baby is 11 weeks) and wash the hair until all the cream has gone. Et voila!

Makes their head smell gorgeous for ages too!

Believe it or not Sudocreme is great at getting rid of it. I got this tip of a friend and I have only had to use it once and it got rid of it, never for it to return.

Basically rub in a thick layer of sudocreme over the effected area and leave it on as long as possible. My friend recommended over night but I only had the chance to leave it for a couple of hours. When you're ready to remove it start by using a baby hairbrush and brush the hair backwards, thus loosening any flakes. Then use warm water with a little baby shampoo in (should be fine as baby is 11 weeks) and wash the hair until all the cream has gone. Et voila!

Sudocreme is brilliant stuff, I use it for pretty much anything sore lol!

Sudocreme is brilliant stuff, I use it for pretty much anything sore lol!

I went to boarding school and can totally agree with you Mynx! Matron used to hand it out for everything from chapped lips to sunburn to bee stings....I swear if you broke your leg you'd have been offered sudocrem and soluble paracetamol! :shrug: It took me a long time to get over that as I just couldn't stand the smell of sudocrem before I had Earl but it's such good stuff that you can't skimp on it!

ps. I still can't stand soluble paracetamol...or orange squash which matron used to put it in to mask the smell

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"