really worried about contractions- please help!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by samah, Apr 7, 2009.

1. samah

samah pregnant with #1

Hi All,
    I really hope some of you might be able to help me out.

Since my fifth month, in fact soon after I started feeling baby's movements, i also started experiencing what i believe are braxton-hicks contractions every few days, though it took me a few weeks to discover this as I initally thought the unpleasant tight contractions were part of baby's movements. however, i was reassured when i found out that they can start so early and my midwife did not seem too concerned. but since the sixth month started, ive noticed the contractions getting more frequent, like every day or so, and since ive been travelling the last week, theyve increased even more. Today i think i actually mustve experienced contractions like 10-15 times all day, sometimes just half n hr apart.

Predominantly everyone tells me its likely due to exertion, and/or dehydration which i admit have been factors since travelling, but i am trying hard to rectify both but contractions are still getting more n more frequent daily.

I am very worried, as i dont have access to my midwife or anyone, and when i ask other ppl, no one seems to remember when they started experiencing contractions and how frequently. I dont know whether i need to rush to emergency, or whether i can wait to travel back next week to UK and see my midwife, or if i shud get an appointment to see an OBs while abroad.

Any advice, suggestions, experiences, would be welcome.

thanks in advance.

2. samah

samah pregnant with #1

no replies at all :(

really hope to hear from someone soon

3. joeyjo

joeyjo Mum to 2boys, growing #3

It might be worth asking in 3rd tri too as those girls probably have more experience of braxton Hicks than us.

For what its worth I've had tightenings a couple of times, mostly after sex and the big "O" but also at other times. I believe the ones after sex are related to braxton Hicks and the others feel just the same too - thankfully without the big "O" as its been when I've been out and about!

4. Siyren

Siyren Guest

hey hon,
    i have no experience in this at all, and tbh hope to not get any,
    but if its enough to worry you.
    i'd see a professional asap

5. marley2580

marley2580 Well-Known Member

It sounds fine to me, BH can be quite regular but I really wouldn't worry unless you were getting them regularly every 15 mins or so.

I found this:
    If you haven't yet reached the 37th week of your pregnancy and you are experiencing more than 4 contractions an hour, if the contractions are becoming rhythmic or painful, if they are increasing in frequency, duration or intensity or if you are experiencing symptoms such as spotting, increased vaginal discharge, bleeding, back pain or the feeling of pressure on your pelvis then you should consult your healthcare professional as soon as possible.

6. Pippin

Pippin Sam and Adélie-Rose's Mum

Maybe give NHS direct ring. X

7. angelstardust

angelstardust mother of 3

I had regular, painful BH from about 22 weeks with DS2. A few times I had to go up to be monitored as they got to 5 mins apart.

At 33 weeks I also experienced real contractions (was allready in hospital at this point) and there is a big difference. Real contractions take your breath away, you can't think while you have one, and you can kinda feel them throughout your whole body.

Any other 'symptom' and call your hospital. Try and guzzle down that water, have a bath and take some paracetamol if they are bad.

I spent most of my time bent over a gym ball as it was how I felt most comfortable.

8. starah

starah Well-Known Member

I'm not a professional but from what I've read and heard that is completely normal. My coworker used to get them all the time, and like marley said unless you are experiencing them an ungodly amount like 6 times an hour I wouldn't worry about it. Braxton hicks happen to me almost every day now, I'm pretty good at ignoring them though lol. If you're still worried give your midwife a call.

9. duffers

duffers Well-Known Member

I didn't want to read and run but not something that I know much about I'm afraid. I was getting some cramping like pains but assume that you're talking about something more substantial.

Sounds like the other ladies have offered some good advice.

x