Rear-Facing Support, Questions & Answers

thankyou, i am going to email tomorrow when i've asked mum what year it is, as i got excited when i saw a 3 door fiesta with erf carseat on that website...but then read that the years the cars were brought out affects things, i haven't a clue whn it comes to cars haha! :D

You could also contact a Ford dealer and find out if the seatbelt clips can be changed to shorter ones if they're quite long. I don't have any personal experience with this but it seems like it should be a fairly simple job to change them really.

thankyou, i am going to email tomorrow when i've asked mum what year it is, as i got excited when i saw a 3 door fiesta with erf carseat on that website...but then read that the years the cars were brought out affects things, i haven't a clue whn it comes to cars haha! :D

I have an X reg (2000) 3 dr Ford fiesta and i have a Besafe Izi combi which fits fine in the back, you do have to have the front seat all the way forward though.

Does anyone have any experience of fitting an ERF seat in a ford ka (old style, x reg)? Everything's a bit of a pain to fit in the car: buggies, baby carrier... so im already imagining im going to have trouble!!
thanks1
x

I've ordered a Britax hi-way which Hakan advised is good in small hatchbacks that dont have isofix! I havent got it yet so I cant give you a review right now, should be getting it soon but having problems with the delivery xx

i emailed today to find out, if the straps are ok, and its ok to tether around the seat, then we're happy to loose use of front seat if necessary.
i know mum wouldn't be interested in getting new belts fitted as the car is worth nothing and would be replaced as soon as finances are more sorted!
heres hoping!
:)

I apologize if this question has been asked in this thread already...
Has anyone encountered any negativity toward ERF? Today I was asking a friend of mine if she knows of a store that sells Sunshine Kids car seats, and I was telling her about ERF. She has 2 kids, 3 and 7 months. She got really pissy about it. "Well it can't be THAT safe if the government doesn't make people do it." "I think it's mean to keep your kid facing back where she can't see you and you can't see her". "Nobody I know does it so how safe can it be?"
I think she probably got her back up about it because like most people here, she forward faced her older child as soon as he hit the weight and age requirement, and plans on doing the same with her younger child. I was treading lightly with her because I didn't want to make her feel like I was questioning her parenting or anything, but clearly she still didn't like that I said ERF was safer.
Has anyone else come across this? How do you deal with it?

I deal with this kind of thing in the same way I deal with negativity about cloth nappies. If I think the person is open to it, I'll explain about how it has been found to be safer, mention about Sweden's car safety record etc etc. If, however, I don't think that the person really wants to hear my reasons, then I usually just say something like "We're doing what works for us" and leave it at that. I refuse to get drawn into an argument, because someone who is willing to be rude about my choices probably isn't going to listen to why I chose that option.

ETA - I've only really come across negativity face-to-face once. Mostly people just haven't heard of it over here. I try to be careful, when I'm explaining about why we ERF, not to phrase things in a way that sounds like I'm criticising parents who turn their child.

I get negativity a lot, people think I'm being over-protective and a bit paranoid. If they're happy to make comments to me about how 'weird' I am, I always say I've watched safety videos with ff and rf car seats and that image will never leave my mind and as a mum I have to do whats safer, I'd rather his legs be a bit uncomfortable and be safer!

My child, my decision! I find I tend to get it off people who dont have kids more which bugs me, I feel like saying come back when you've got your own and you might understand! :haha:

I usually just mention "internal decapitation" and that shuts people up because they either don't know what it means, or they realise I'm right, or they think I'm totally nuts and walk away quickly :rofl:

Like when people say "Oh but what about her legs, wouldn't she prefer to have more room?" I'll say something like "She's actually got loads of room and it's better for children to keep their legs bent but if ever it does become a problem, I'd much rather her have squashed legs than be internally decapitated in an accident."

I understand that she was probably rude because she felt like I was saying the way she puts her kids in the car is "unsafe" or something. But she asked why I was planning on doing it, and I gave her the honest answer. I think from now on when someone asks me why, I'll just say "Because I wanna". :haha:

Even if she thought you were saying she was unsafe (which you obviously weren't), she didn't need to react that way :hugs:

I have just got back from Mothercare who fitted the Maxi Cosi Opal combination seat into my Smart Fortwo!
I know it isn't ideal, but I can't afford to get another car (certainly not another that is sooo cheap to run) and a combi seat seemed like the best compromise.
I shall post some pics when my seat arrives.

Ooh that'll be interesting to see how it looks in your car, Binxy! Looking forward to seeing the pics :)

I originally went to get the britax Firts Class Plus fitted. It was safe enough in itself, but left me with a huge blindspot. I was worried about cyclists and motorbikes and the sales lady told me that having a safe car seat is one thing, but if it makes you more prone to accidents then its safety is defunct!
She could see I really wanted to try ERF for as long as possible and asked if I wanted to try the Opal which fitted like a dream!
She was very pro-ERF, telling me that I was doing the right thing having him ERF and that she was also saddened at the lack of seats available in the UK. :)

Haven't been here in ages.. but I just had to get excited to someone who would care. :haha:

DD's ERF seat arrived this morning! :dance: We have a Radian XTSL for DS (he's still RF at 20 months, 35 lbs :thumbup: ). I love it so much, we got DD the same, just different design. I can't wait to get home from work and install it! :rofl:

I've had no real negativity at all about ERF. People have just been interested and asked where their feet go etc - but that's fair enough as it's the first thing I asked! When I've explained they've just gone fair enough. I do think people who react negatively are just incorrectly assuming your questioning their choices which of course you're not - you are just doing what works best for you.

I originally went to get the britax Firts Class Plus fitted. It was safe enough in itself, but left me with a huge blindspot. I was worried about cyclists and motorbikes and the sales lady told me that having a safe car seat is one thing, but if it makes you more prone to accidents then its safety is defunct!
She could see I really wanted to try ERF for as long as possible and asked if I wanted to try the Opal which fitted like a dream!
She was very pro-ERF, telling me that I was doing the right thing having him ERF and that she was also saddened at the lack of seats available in the UK. :)

Wow that is fantastic!! Go go Mothercare! So nice to hear of someone getting a positive ERF reaction, as opposed to the ignorance/outright rudeness which other people have encountered! The salesgirl I spoke to in my local Mothercare told me it was the law to turn them when they reached 20lbs :dohh:

TL - Yay for your little girl's ERF seat! I'm so jealous of the pretty designs you guys have for seats over there. Ours are all so dull :rofl:

I got james' RF car seat yesterday! We got the Britax hi-way, it does fit in our car, but I am not convinced I have fitted it correctly, anyone else on here got one I can ask a couple of questions?

Also there is less space for his legs than before, is that correct? I was under the impression that the seat compensated for it a small amount? At 1 his legs are practically up in the air, cant imagine what they will be like at 4?! Can anyone reassure me on this as I know thats what my hubby will say when he sees him!

I know some of you have already done this but please could you add you ERF seat and car to this thread as a future resource for other parents looking to see what might fit their car. https://www.babyandbump.com/natural-parenting/550884-erf-seat-your-car.html Thanks.

I'm a bit sad :( I have the volvo multi tech but it is still sitting in the box taking up precious space in my bedroom as LO is still too little. I think and hope he will gain the extra 250g (10oz approx) in about 6-8 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->