Reassurance needed :( being sent for growth scan as small for dates

Lady_Bee

Two little ones
Reaction score
I know fundal height isn't the most accurate measure of foetal growth, but somehow that isn't stopping me from feeling really anxious after my midwife told me I'm measuring 3 weeks smaller than I should be. :( I'm 29+2 and she measured my fundal height as 26 cm.

So she's booked me in for a growth scan on Wednesday to check baby's size, fluid levels and cord function. She told me not to worry and that she's not too concerned because most of the time when they send people for growth scans everything is fine, but not worrying is easier said than done! Of course I am going to worry! :cry: Argh.

I'll never understand why they bother with fundal height and don't just do growth scans every so often instead. My doc said that 2 cm over or under is still normal, and you're only 1 cm off from that, so that's not a HUGE difference. Of course you're gonna worry, but it is VERY, very, very, very, very common to have a fundal height that is over or under what it should be. So, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you - hope everything is just perfect.

Ahhh hun, it's natural that you are going to worry but xdxxtx is right fundal height is notoriously innacurate and your baby is more than likely perfect and just lay in a way that makes your measurement smaller.

xx

I was send for a growth scan at 36+1 because my FH hadn't changed for 5 weeks. I was measuring 5 weeks behind. The MW wasn't worried as I was measuring small with my son too, but it is precautionary to do it here.

Anyway LO was measuring big via scan (7.5lbs) and had plenty of fluid! She was born last Sat at 36+5 weighing 7lbs 4oz and totally perfect! Apparently I have a deep pelvis so I can hide big babies well :haha: My son was the same - I was 4-5 weeks behind and he was big for his gestation! xx

Try not to worry hun. I have been consistently measuring 3 cm behind each week, so they started doing weekly growth scans to make sure LO is ok, which she is. She's not a huge baby by any means, but she's not abnormally small either. I think fundal height measurement is a load of crap and it is just one more thing for us poor pregnant ladies to worry about if it isn't "normal". At the very least, enjoy the growth scan and seeing your LO. My OB had hardly done any ultrasounds through my pregnancy and I have really loved getting to see my DD at a scan every week. I"m sure your baby is perfectly fine, but I won't tell you not to worry because I know that is next to impossible :) Just try to stay positive. Sending warm and fuzzy baby thoughts your way!

I got sent for a growth scan last week as was measuring 34 weeks at almost 37 and when I had it she measured perfectly for 37 weeks and is a lovely healthy 6 pounds 7ounces (although I don't have much faith in the accuracy of that!) it happens all the time because the fh measurements are so inaccurate... I'm sure eerythjng will be fine and ur baby is just curled up all tight and cosy :) x

I don't know why they do it, I wouldn't worry, just go any enjoy your scan and I'm sure your baby will be fine :flower:

Thank you girls, I am trying not to worry too much! :hugs: I was measuring spot on at 25 weeks which is why she is a bit concerned I suppose.

I've still been steadily gaining weight. I don't know maybe he is lying differently now? Also my normal midwife was on holiday today so I had someone else, and she did say that might make a difference because it's quite subjective.

OH WELL I'll just wait and see what they find in the scan and try not to freak out in the meanwhile. It's definitely nice to hear of all these positive outcomes of measuring small!!

^^ It definitely makes a difference who is measuring! The same person should measure every time!

This happened to me too.
I know its so worrying :hugs:

Anyway, my baby has now caught up after a massive growth spurt after being on the small side.

They often have growth spurts in this situation so the sonographer told me
xx

im measuring behind now.. 30 weeks at 33.. baba was breech which was pushing my fh measurement up by 1-2 weeks. now shes dropped and is head down im only measuring 30. mw i saw this morning said for me to wait to see my normal mw which is next monday and then we'll see. not worried really, enjoy your scan huni x

Some people really suck at the measurements lol My midwife is very hands on and very expeirenced. My dr like the us machine. MW measured me at 39cm @26wks and when dr did it same week He didnt even hit my pubic bone or top of my fundus lol he said i was 26cm. Clearly i reminded him I was having twins via HB and he used US and said wow u have feet in ur ribs oh I guess u are measuring 39-40 he measured my bikini line to baby "B"'s BUM lol no wonder why his measurement was OFF! Dont worry sure its fine!

I was measured today at 28w3d and my FH was 26cm. Im sure its nothing to worry about, and even IF it is, you will find out wednesday and they will be able to do what ever would need to be done. Let us know what happens, good luck! xxxx

I have a growth scan tomorrow too, im 35+ weeks measuring 30 :-( Im sure all is fine probably just led funny, he's really active which mw says is a good sign that its nothing worry about. Good luck tomorrow, let us know how u get on x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->