Reassurance needed following 7wk scan with no HB

Buttercup_Way

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

Firstly, I apologise if this is posted in the incorrect forum - Admin, please delete if that is the case.

I am looking for some reassurance, I found out I was pregnant on 22nd Jan, Clearblue Digital stated 1-2 weeks pregnant. There was a concern that I was having an ectopic so I had one scan which showed the pregnancy sac, another one a week later which showed the sac and the yolk (ectopic then ruled out) and a further one today. Today, as I was unsure on dates, I thought I should be around 7+1. The scan showed the sac, and the baby (baby measured 8.8mm) but there was no heartbeat. The lady that carried out our scan was lovely, she called in another lady to confirm her findings and 'call it'. She confirmed they would expect to see a heartbeat but as it was right on the cuff (as they worded it), they were debating whether to do another US in a weeks time! However, their final conclusion was to call it and I was put in a side room to discuss my options. However, a few things are concerning me:

1. As I was 'on the cuff' I think a further scan should have been offered.

2. My pregnancy symptoms are still here, worse in fact and I have absolutely no sign of bleeding/cramping or anything.

3. It may well be just clutching at straws, but I'm worried that if I opt for a D&C (I need to make the call by lunchtime tomorrow), that if it is a mistake or down to incorrect dates that I could effectively be removing a healthy pregnancy?

Does anyone have any experiences that would provide some reassurance for me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance

If your gut is telling you to wait (and your ok waiting another week) I would wait. Id imagine if you were to go through with a d&c that you may have regrets. If I were in this situation that's exactly what I would do.

Big hugs to you. I'm sure this has got to be hard emotionally and I hope the very best for you!:hugs:

If your gut is telling you to wait (and your ok waiting another week) I would wait. Id imagine if you were to go through with a d&c that you may have regrets. If I were in this situation that's exactly what I would do.

Big hugs to you. I'm sure this has got to be hard emotionally and I hope the very best for you!:hugs:

Thank you so much for replying... I think your right, when the lady at the EPU phones me tomorrow, I think ill request another scan next week and then go from there! I am praying with all my strength that this little baby is hanging on in there. It was measuring perfectly so all I can do is hope that a HB is picked up next week.

Really appreciate your support :hugs: thank you!

I agree....follow your mama gut and wait a week....get another u/s and if there is still no HB then make your decision. However, if there is a HB then you will be really happy.

Since you don't sound 100% sure I'd wait another week and see what a scan shows. Unfortunately symptoms aren't necessarily an indicator of a healthy pregnancy. I had symptoms all the way through my Mmc, d&c and for a few intense days after. I'm so sorry you are going through all this uncertainty. Much love.

Definitely stick with your gut. You would forever wonder "what if" otherwise.

Wishing you all the luck in the world!

Thank you for the kind words in your replies.

I called the EPU this morning and booked in my D&C for Tuesday next week. I did explain this gut feeling I had due to the reluctantly of the lady who performed the scan about whether to call it or put in for a further scan. As I had obvious doubts she kindly offered me a scan before my D&C just to put my mind at rest. She also confirmed that the size of the baby measured 7.9mm not 8.8mm as id thought, the 8.8mm wasn’t measured correctly so they called it at 7.9mm.

I know the chances are probably less than 1% that a heartbeat will be found but at least in my heart it will clear up any doubts I have before undergoing the procedure. And as stated above, I won’t spend the next few years asking myself ‘what if’.

Will update you after Tuesday and let you know how I get on.

Keeping everything crossed! :flower:

I'm so sorry you are going through this :( xxx I have everything crossed that next week you will be greeted by a little heartbeat xxx sending loads of love and strength for this week xxxx

If your dates are slightly off or if you ovulated later than you originally thought, then maybe it's too soon for a heartbeat.

They have to scan for a heartbeat before a d&c regardless, but I'm glad you are going to make sure they go through with the scan.

I don't understand the urgency for a d&c. With my first missed miscarriage, I waited two weeks before I went in for my d&c because I wanted to really make certain the baby stopped growing. I've read so many stories of people waiting and then there was a heartbeat.

Don't feel bullied!

Thinking of you! I wasn't offered an ultrasound before either of my D&C's. I did go to another facility the day before each for a second opinion though. It did a lot for my peace of mind.

Massive hugs xx so glad you are getting another scan before they go ahead with the d&c xx

Thank you all so very much.

I do feel I’m clutching at straws here but with my previous MMC, we saw a heartbeat at 8 wks, all was well with baby, had a 12 week scan as normal only to find baby hadn’t grown anymore since 8 wks and the heartbeat had stopped so I obviously had no doubts that my poor baby had gone.
Yesterday, when I saw the scan image, from what it was 2 weeks ago, a simple sac and a very faint yolk I was almost certain I wouldn’t see as much as I did so this little bub has grown so well in those 2 weeks that I just want to give it another chance and the extra 6 days might be enough for that heart to beat for us!
Not sure if it’s at all relevant but the quality of the scan I had yesterday in comparison to ones before was terrible. Could barely make out the sac it was all fuzzy and strange to watch. Only when she froze a shot of the baby could you make out its shape. Again... I know I’m getting my hopes up, but like others, I have read about misdiagnosis’s happening... Maybe I’m that small minority... Hopefully anyway.

My first daughter was a Clomid miracle, second was miracle all in her own merits as we were told we would need fertility treatment again but she beat the odds there so please little bubs... Hold on for me because I love you so much already.

Fingers crossed for good news but having your support over the next few days means so much!

:hugs:

I'll be sending you good thoughts and hoping against hope this babe is ok. Thinking of you!

Hello there and sorry you are going through this. Have they checked your hcg at any point? If they had any betas to compare from the past weeks that could help in making a decision perhaps or maybe give a clue to the dating of the pregnancy. There are ranges of beta hcg that they "expect" to see certain things-gestational sac 1,200-1,500 , 7,00-7,200 at least aa yolk sac and sometimes a heartbeat. If your beta hcg is rising appropriately then the bean is growing.

Also (not to be overly positive) but a high beta with no heartbeat in the 6th week is very common with multiples. My friend was scheduled for a D&C because of the exact same situation but she had one last scan the day of the procedure and low and behold there were two heartbeats! Because there are two they take longer to grow but the beta hcg numbers were more than healthy so she went with her hunch. I hope the little nugget shows him/herself/selves on your next scan and best wishes to you:hugs:

I'm so sorry you are going through this!! Big hugs and fingers crossed for a heartbeat!!!

I did want to say though (for anyone else reading this) that going off beta hcg to determine pregnancy health is not accurate in the slightest. For every one of my mmc's my beta hcg doubled beautifully and in high normal range. And there have been many women on here have slow rising hcg and go on to have healthy pregnancys when their drs would have said they weren't viable! :thumbup: just thought I'd say that!

Yes pink passion I am a slow and low beta hcg pregnancy myself and was with my last pregnancy as well. It is a nice tool to use along with all the other information available when looking at a pregnancy though and it helped date mine. That being said my ectopic had great doubling betas all along so you never know! It isn't the most important measuring stick of a healthy pregnancy but can sometimes shed some light on a situation where there are a lot of unanswered questions. I hoping the OP sees something more definitive on her scan :thumbup:

Oh I'm so sorry you're dealing with this :( Do not rush this, and don't let them push you... Be very sure before you make the decision. I'm hoping for a positive outcome for you... Hang in there <3

My heart goes out to you!! I agree with waiting!! I'm so sorry for what you have to go through... Prayers sent.

I was in the exact same situation last November only they didn't see anything at all. I was still having pregnancy symptoms and still getting strong bfps which made it all the harder.

Thw fact that they can see the yolk makes your situation seem a lot more hopeful than mine. I would ask for a repeat scan to put your mind at ease.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->